Chapter 78

Miranda's POV

As Gandalf and Bilbo left the tent, Thranduil called me back. "Luna? Is it really true? You have your mother's power?"

I nodded at him, "Yes. The future is already written down, but I wish to change it if I can."

He looked at me curiously, "What future do you wish to rewrite?"

I looked him over, choosing my words carefully, "I have grown quite fond of Tauriel, I do not wish to see her cry."

He narrowed his eyes at me, but I said nothing further. Instead, I bid him goodnight and returned to my cot.

~*~

The next morning, I awoke to the calls of soldiers, orders of getting in line and marching were issued. I scrambled out of the cot and ran for my armor and weapons. Once everything was strapped to my belt, I walked out of the tent to find Rochben waiting for me.

"He is a fine horse," Thranduil said, petting his neck.

I nodded, "Indeed. He has followed with me most of my life. Loyal to non but me. It is humbling to be so trusted."

Thranduil smiled at me softly, "Come, we march on the mountain." I nodded, passing him a slight smile in return and mounting Rochben. "Move out!" He ordered.

When we arrived at the mountain, rows upon rows of guards were already stationed. They moved so we could pass through, a near seamless order. My position was behind and to the right of Thranduil, while Bard rode a white horse to his left. The mountain was imposing and Erebor itself held almost no signs of life. I wondered for a moment if anyone else had fled, but I knew that it was not the case. As Thorin had said, one should never underestimate dwarves.

Thorin shot an arrow at the hooves of Thranduil's elk. "I will put the next one between your eyes!" He cried, aiming again. Most of the dwarves behind him hollered and hooted, but I could see Balin in the back, eyes downcast and quiet.

Thranduil smiled thinly for a moment before it faded into a glare, with the slightest nod of his head, his archers aimed their arrows right at the dwarves. All the dwarves ducked for cover, all except Thorin. Even from my place near the ground, I could see his eyes, wild and bloodshot. Bard looked between them uneasily. Without breaking eye contact, Thranduil raised his hand, a silent signal to wait. The archers put away their arrows, but their hostility remained.

"We have come to tell you payment of your debt has been offered and accepted." Thranduil spoke, his clear voice reaching over the wind. I did not miss the sly smile that creeped over his lips.

"What payment?" Thorin asked suspiciously, his arrow still aimed right at Thranduil's head. "I gave you nothing. You have nothing."

Thranduil's innocent blue eyes looked from Thorin to Bard. The human pulled the Arkenstone out and held it up saying, "We have this."

Thorin's eyes fell on the shimmering stone, never leaving his prize. His bow lowered as Kili whispered, "They have the Arkenstone." Kili's eyes landed on me and his brow creased. "Thieves! How came you by the heirloom of our house?!" Kili yelled. "That stone belongs to the king!"

"The king may have it, with our goodwill," Bard said simply as he threw the heart of the mountain up into the air. He caught it before stashing it in his pocket. Thorin's gaze turned murderous. "But first, he must honor his word."