Chapter 57

Third POV

The next morning after a great feast, the company was waiting at the docks for the boat to arrive.

"You do realize we are one short," Bilbo said. "Where's Bofur?"

"If he's not here, we leave him behind." Thorin said.

"We have to," Balin continued. "If we're to find the door before nightfall, we can risk no more delays."

The company began piling into the boat when Thorin stopped Kili saying, "Not you. We must travel at speed. You will slow us down."

"What are you talking about?" Kili asked. "I'm coming with you."

"Not now," Thorin said.

"I'm going to be there when that door is opened. When we first look upon the halls of our fathers, Thorin," Kili stated.

"Kili," Thorin said worry in his eyes. "Stay here. Rest. Join us when you're healed."

"I'll stay with the lad," Oin said. "My duty lies with the wounded."

"Uncle," Fili spoke. "We grew up on tales of the mountain. Tales you told us. You cannot take that away from him!"

"Fili-" Thorin began.

Fili interrupted him. "I will carry him if I must!"

"One day you will be king, and you will understand. I cannot risk the fate of this quest for the sake of one dwarf," Thorin said. "Not even my own kin." Fili ran up the dock, Thorin grabbed his arm and continued talking. "Fili don't be a fool. You belong with the company."

"I belong with my brother," Fili said, his voice strong and unwavering.

"Thorin," Miranda finally spoke up. Thorin turned to face her. "They will be in danger staying here. I believe Kili may be poisoned. I have some experience with such things. Allow me to stay with him."

Thorin looked across her features then nodded. "Stay. Keep my kin safe."

Miranda bowed before getting off the boat she said, "You have my word."

The fanfare started and Bofur awoke under a table, he ran, trying to reach the boat but he was too late. He turned and saw Fili, Kili, Oin, and Miranda at the docks.

"So, you missed the boat as well?" Bofur asked, laughing dryly.

At that moment, Kili lost consciousness. "Kili? Kili!" Fili called his brother's name, but it was of no use. The dwarves ran to Bard's house and knocked.

Bard opened the door. When he saw who it was, he turned away and went to close it again. "No." He said. "I'm done with dwarves. Go away."

"No, no, no!" Bofur said, fighting to keep the door open. "Please! No one will help us. Kili's sick. He's very sick."