Chapter 26

Ria felt her heart bang against her chest. She stared at the plump lady waving at her. Round face, bright red lipstick with freshly whitened teeth shining through them and that shrill voice. It meant only one thing: Koyal Saxena AKA Koyal aunty.

Her mom's dear friend, Koyal aunty.

The gossip queen of her mom's social circle, Koyal aunty.

Shit!

"I knew it was you!" Koyal aunty beamed from across the garden hedge.

Ria forced a smile, which had nothing to do with the ball of lead that was rumbling in her stomach. 

"I can recognised anyone immediately. I never forget. See," Koyal aunty declared. 

Why! Why was god doing this to her. She hadn't met Koyal aunty in years! years! And now was the time for her to turn up! Now! Now of all times!

"What are you doing here?" Koyal aunty asked.

Ria shrugged her shoulders still plastering a wide smile on her face. Her face hurt, but if there was one thing she one. One thing her father had drilled into her, it was: Never open your mouth in front of Koyal aunty. Never ever! Ever! EVER! There was no recovering from it. EVER!

"Ria!" Shiv screamed from inside the house. 

Shit! 

Ria clenched her teeth. Not an easy task while trying to smile. Her nails dug into her palms as she clenched them. 

Idiot! Dumb ass! She was going to kill him.

"Ria, is someone calling you?" Koyal aunty asked peeping over the hedge trying to get a better view inside.

Gossip antenna on the alert! This was not good.

"No one!' Ria blurted out

"Ria!" Shiv yelled again

Ria closed her eyes. Shiv was going to die. Slow painful death. Excruciatingly slow...and extremely painful.

"Who is calling you?" Koyal aunty asked leaning further into the hedge, "Is there a guy with you?"

"Guy!" Ria laughed...tried to "What guy?"

"What is what I am asking?" Koyal aunty asked narrowing her eyes at Ria.

"Ria!" Shiv called again, annoyed as he walked towards her.

Ria shoved him behind the door before he could step out.

"Shut up," she chewed out under her breath, "Keep quiet"

"What?" Shiv asked brushing her hand off

"Who is with you?" Koyal aunty asked

"There is no one here, Koyal aunty," Ria called out

Ria could see Shiv go very stiff next to her and she responded.

"I heard a man's voice," Koyal aunty shot back, "Are you here with a man? Does Jaya know?"

"There is no one here, aunty,"

"Don't lie to me," Koyal aunty warned, "I know what I heard"

Ria shook her head throwing in a fake laugh. "Oh! Now I get it"

"Get what?" Koyal aunty barked, her eyes narrowing into tiny slits focused completely on Ria.

"You must have heard the servant"

"Servant," Koyal aunty asked. "If it was a servant, why was he calling you 'Ria' and not 'Ria madam'?"

"Ria 'madam' my foot!" muttered Shiv next to her.