Chapter 25

"What do you mean he knows?" Shiv bit out coldly.

"He knows what we are planning to do and why."

"You told him," Shiv face turned rigid.

"He found out."

"How the hell could he have found out?" Shiv asked crossing his arms, "You had to do one simple thing. One thing. Keep the plan under wraps."

"He can see through me."

"How wonderful," Shiv shook his head even as he kept his eyes on her.

Ria looked at him through steely eyes, "It is."

"You could have said this sooner. It would have saved all of us the trouble of arranging this," Shiv shot at her, "I wouldn't need to be here with you."

"I have no interest in being with you either," Ria bit out, "Don't forget why we are here."

"Oh so now you remember why we are here?"

"Nothing has changed," Ria said firmly.

Shiv shook his head, "Everything has."

"Papa is going to cover for us with the police. He is taking care of our biggest risk."

"And he is fine with you doing all this. Being here," Shiv watched her closely.

"He isn't happy about it. But he understands," Ria said quietly before biting out, "The plan is much better now. That is all you need to know."

"Anything else you want to confess?" Shiv said watching her.

Ria jutted her chin, "Someone in my family giving us air cover. Can you say the same for yourself?"

***

Ria was watching television in the living room. There was nothing else to do in the god forsaken place and she was not interested in communicating with her present company.

Shiv came stomping down the stairs.

Ria ignored him, even though she heard the footsteps.

"I am going out. Don't tax yourself with staying awake, to let me in, like last time," Shiv called out from behind her.

"I wasn't going to."

Shiv opened the door, "If you hear ..."

When he didn't say anything, Ria turned around at looked at him pointedly, "Hear what?"

"Nothing," he shook his head, "It is best you don't know."

"Don't know what?" she asked narrowing her eyes.

"Well," He ran his fingers through his hair, "With the neighborhood being what it is, there can be some ...let say sounds."

"What neighborhood? What sounds?" Ria asked firmly.

"Sam's dad is a really good businessman. He got the land dirt cheap. Neighborhood discount," Shiv shrugged his shoulder, "It is no bother usually. But sometimes ..."

"Are you going to get to the point? Or are we going to talk in riddles all night?"

"There is a cemetery next door," Shiv jerked his head sideways.

Ria crossed her arms, "You really expect me to believe that?"

"I will let myself in,'' Shiv said before closing the door.

***

Ria lay still in her bed. Ramrod still. Her eyes trained on the shadows dancing in the room from the trees outside. Somewhere outside wind blew whistling away as it passed by.