Chapter 9

Ria rubbed her neck. This was probably the fifth time her head had slid down her wrist, that was supporting it, as she slept. She felt as though she might have pulled a muscle in her neck thanks to all of it.

As she massaged her neck, her eyes fell on Shiv who was sleeping comfortably on the sofa in front of her. "Idiot" she muttered to herself.

She looked at her watch. It was barely 5 AM. She was still feeling really sleepy. She had never been one to get up early. As she thought of going back to sleep, at the risk of hurting her neck again, a man came with a vacuum cleaner and started vacuuming the space around her.

"There goes my sleep" she muttered as she got up and walked out of the hotel.

It was quite dark and chilly too. Even with her jacket she could feel it. She rubbed her hands, and wrapped them around herself as she walked out tentatively. This was after all a new place for her and the last thing she wanted was to land in more mess or in an unsafe company.

The town was almost dead, baring a small tea and snacks stall which seemed to be surrounded by a few men.

"Didi! Didi! (elder sister)" someone called out, taking her by surprise. She stepped back a bit, her hand went to her chest involuntarily as she tried to reign in her increased heartbeat.

She looked on her side to find a small girl. She had torn clothes and her hair were matted and dirty.

"Didi, I haven't had anything to eat in two days. Please give me some money to eat" the girl begged

Ria looked at her. The girl did indeed seem weak "I will not give you money" Ria told her firmly. She knew that any money that she gave had the possibility of being misused. "But I can buy you food. Do you want that?" she asked

The little girl whose face has dimmed when Ria had declined giving her money, lit up again. She nodded enthusiastically, before stopping suddenly at some thought.

"What happened?" Ria asked

"My brothers and sisters haven't had food either" the girl admitted quietly

"Call them over. I will get them food as well" Ria assured her

The girl's face lit up brightly "I will get them now, Didi. I will come back in a second"

Ria nodded with a smile.

In a matter of a minute some 6-7 kids were standing next to Ria looking eagerly at her. Ria looked around for some place to get food. The only thing she could see open was that small stall. She walked there with the kids

"Bhaiya (brother), please give these kids whatever food they want" Ria told him "I will pay for them"

The man looked at her skeptically. After taking in her appearance, he felt that she was rich enough and could be depended on, to pay the bill. He nodded tentatively and plated some hot snacks for the kids.

"Memsahib, do you want anything for yourself?" he asked after the kids started attacking the food.

Ria shook her head

"Memsaheb, my tea is the best in the town. It is good for the chilly weather" he said pleasantly

Reluctant as first, Ria agreed with a sigh. She was never a tea drinker, but it was really cold. She hoped her stomach could take the food. It had not yet completely adjusted to restaurant food, let alone that from street stalls.

Ria looked around, taking in her surroundings. There wasn't much to watch. But at this time in the morning, the town seemed peaceful. Devoid of the traffic that she imagined was rummaging down the street during day time.