Chapter 17

Ria looked at her mom. Her eyes boring into Ria's. A blatant lie would be caught immediately.

"Shivani spoilt my stole. Knowing her, I was sure she would have tried to pass an old one to me. She is a miser. So I asked her for a brand new one."

"Why? We could have brought you a new one? Why mess friendship for this?" Jaya asked.

"Mom, Shivani never takes responsibility for her actions." It was true. "If I am her friend, I need to make her take some ownership."

Jaya raised her eyebrows but didn't say anything.

"Anyway, she did say here that it wouldn't affect our relationship. See," Ria said, pointing to the card.

Jaya stood there watching Ria for a while before sighing. "Come, have some breakfast. You must be hungry."

Ria sighed. Situation averted!

***

Ria bit her lip. They had just finished their presentation to Pereiras' along with Kapoors.

Should she bring it up now? He at least couldn't back out of it if there were witnesses to corroborate her story. But what about her brother? How would he react? He needed to know!

"Bhai," Ria called out. Her voice soft—softer than usual—as she spoke. "I need to tell you something."

"Now?" Lav asked, looking around once.

Ria nodded. "It has to be now."

Lav didn't stop her. He wasn't happy about it though.

"I was at Café-by-the-bay with Anu. I saw Naren there. He came to meet Shiv." Ria glanced at Shiv once.

Shiv had heard her. He looked surprised. He looked at his brother to find Arun looking at him intensely.

Ria continued, not stopping to see the reactions. Only one person's reaction mattered to her—her brother's. "I found it odd and listened to them quietly. Naren was offering to disclose our proposal to Shiv, for money."

Lav's jaw clenched. He got out of his chair, throwing it out of his way as he did. 'You!" he screamed, looking at Shiv.

"Shiv didn't agree, Bhai," Ria blurted quickly, trying to avoid disaster. "Shiv didn't agree to Naren's offer." She repeated again.

Lav froze for a second. The vein in his neck was popping. His jaw and fist were clenched.

No! Ria almost screamed in her head.

Lav almost charged towards Naren who was sitting on the other side of Ria.

Ria stepped in the middle. "Don't, Bhai. Please!" she pleaded.

Lav shoved her aside—forcefully. She almost lost her balance. She turned on the spot, immediately, not worried that it would impair her balance even further. She was shaking by now.

Lav had grabbed Naren by his shirt and almost lifted him off the ground at least a few inches.

"What are you doing?" Shiv asked, rushing toward Lav. He steadied Ria with a hand, even as his eyes remained in Lav.

Lav pushed Naren away and turned to Shiv. "You!" he yelled, "Stay away!" Lav's eyes fell on Shiv's hand which rested on Ria's arm. He shoved it away. "Don't you dare touch my sister!"

"She was going to fall!" Shiv said

Lav shoved him in the chest. "Do not touch my sister," he said punctuating each word.

Arun rushed over, pushing Lav away from Shiv. "How dare you shove my brother?"

Lav looked ready to charge. Ria rushed over and hugged him, coming between him and Arun.