Chapter 19

By the time Ria reached the café, it was 5:35pm. She had left early enough, but traffic was bad.

He was already there. Sitting in an isolated corner. Engrossed in his mobile.

If he did see her as she got into her seat, he didn't let it on.

Ria cleared her throat.

Shiv put his mobile aside and sat back in his chair. "So talk."

"What no niceties?"

"You came here to meet me to hear niceties?"

Trying to play it cool, huh? You shouldn't have responded so quickly then! Ria thought.

"Let's have some coffee. I want a mochaccino," Ria said looking around for a waiter. "May be a velvet cake to go with it."

"Are you here to eat?" His tone was bored and a tad annoyed.

"I am hungry. I cannot talk if I am hungry." Ria said with a bright smile.

Shiv narrowed his eyes and looked at Ria, but didn't comment more.

"Do you want anything?" she asked.

"I want to be out of here. Stop wasting my time."

Wasting your time, my ass! Ria thought. Time to make it a level playing field.

"So why did you come?" Ria asked

"Did you suffer a memory loss or something? You called me here!"

"And you agreed to come."

"Is there a point to this? I thought you wanted to talk. Or was that all a joke?" Shiv asked. He was now clearly annoyed.

"I do want to talk," Ria said

"Then get on with it. What are you waiting for?"

"I am waiting for you to admit that you want to talk as well," Ria said leaning back into her chair confidently

"You were the one who requested me to meet you. I didn't come to you asking anything."

"So you don't want to talk about our brothers?"

Shiv clenched his jaw; his eyes narrowing as he looked at her. "Look, stop wasting—"

Ria had gotten out of her chair, picking up her handbag. "I wont waste your time then."

Ria turned away. She bit her lip. Come on! Come on! Admit it already! She prayed.

"Ria." His voice was flat. He didn't say anything more.

He isn't going to give in completely. Ria closed her eyes. It was now up to her to decide if she really wanted to go through with the threat and see if he would contact. But what if he doesn't? He might want this as well, but it was going to be about who wanted it more. And right now, she knew it was her–even if he didn't.

"Ria, sit down," he told her again.

She bit her lip. She straightened her back and turned around meeting his eyes. They both stayed where they were, with eyes locked on each other in challenge, before Shiv tilted his chin to point to the chair in front of him.

Ria eased in to the chair without breaking eye contact. They may still not be at equal positions of strength in this deal, but he wanted this as well and she wasn't going to let him forget that.

"So?" Shiv said after a few minutes

"So"

"Are you going to talk?"