- Fourteen -

You wake up in bed. About three hours before your alarm goes off. It's still dark outside and you don't bother to get up. You lay your heavy head onto your cold, soft, pillow. Your eyes couldn't shut. They just couldn't. But you couldn't bother to leave the warm blankets behind either.  The house was quiet, as quiet as its ever been.

You looked at the time, then lay your head back onto the pillow, silent.

Utter and complete serenity

As you twist and turn a little you felt there was something wrong. Though it is a feeling you knew, you brushed it off as your imagination. You felt you were being watched, but of course, that was most likely not the case, that you were merely tired. And so you rolled to your preferred sleeping position, closed your heavy eyelids, and tried to sleep again.
.
.

D o n ' t I g n o r e a g u t f e e l I n g
.
.

That morning as you woke up, you noticed a breeze that was let in. A shy draft of what was not welcome during the night was welcomed by someone.

I forgot to close the window

You didn't remember opening the window, yet maybe you did in the middle of the night and merely forgot. Again, you saw it as nothing and dressed for the day before grabbing your bag and turning the doorknob, and making your way to school.

As you made it to the front gate you noticed Haruki was nowhere to be seen. You were not going to lie, you kind of wanted him to greet you when you walked into school, it seemed like he was that kind of friend. The happy one that will always walk you home and say good morning, but maybe you were wrong. Maybe he was sick, or something came up. It's best not to try to understand him so quickly when it has only been a day.

Did he take offense to what I told him the other day? What if he was just being himself? But what was that feeling then? He seemed to be holding himself back.

You quickly shook your head being too confused and not wanting to ponder on the thought anymore. Stopping your quick head shake, you walked into your math class in silence.

Taking your seat, a certain blond who sat in front of you turned his position to look at you.

"Hello!"  He said enthusiastically

"Good morning, Yukio, was that your name?" You asked not really remembering

"Yeah! And your (y/n), correct?"  He asked

You shook your head yes, as a boy sat next to you on your right. It was the same boy from P.E.

"And this is-" Yukio was cut off

"Suki, am I right?" You asked the other boy

Suki nodded as his shaggy black and white hair moved along with his head. He seemed very nervous, shaky even, you were not sure what to do. Before you could ease his anxiety even by a bit someone spoke up.

"He gets shy around others," Yukio laughed. "He doesn't hang around with a lot of people, I guess for a while now it's been just the two of us."

Yukio had to think about that for a second as he placed a finger under his chin and tried to remember something. As he did that you took a look at Suki.

There seemed to be faint gray circles under his eyes, he looked tired. Maybe he had stayed up all night playing video games or doing homework, maybe? Though he avoided eye contact it was clear he had not gotten a lot of rest last night.

"Suki?" You asked as he jumped a little and looked at you

"Y-yes?"

"You look tired, did you sleep?" You asked him and he said nothing at first "I can buy you an energy drink if you need one."

He took a couple of seconds to respond

"I-I uh, I already had coffee um, " he stuttered, "I had an e-essay to write last night, it was due today. That's why I'm a little sleepy."

There was a peculiar way he said that but before you could unravel the truth Yukio interrupted again.

"Oh, that's right! 5th grade we meet! And 6th we became friends! I remember now!" Yukio said, scratching the back of his neck.

"You two have been friends for a while, that's pretty cool." You said

"Yup! Were best friends!"

When he said that Suki blushed a bit.

Then you smiled along with them

After class the three of you walked your separate ways as you went to your next class. You walked into English class as everyone had some sort of paper in front of them. You looked over one of the boy's shoulders, then you remembered.

'The poetry contest!'

You had written some poetry in your time and thought it would be easy just to look over something old and make some small changes. You took out your paper and placed it on your desk.

"Oh, you wrote a lot more than I thought you would- um that came out wrong."  You heard a soft voice say "I didn't mean to say anything rude, I just didn't take you as a poet."

As you turn you see the soft brown-haired boy, Makato.

"Oh, it's alright. I guess it's something I don't really talk about." You said smiling at him as he smiled back

"Mind if I read?" He asked

"Sure, it's not the greatest though."

You watched him as he read the handwritten paper. His expression stayed the same, just his typical, curious face. His eyes went side to side reading the sentences before he smiled and looked up from the paper.

"Well it is good, though much of this were metaphors, almost like writing only you could decipher," he said fixing his imaginary glasses

"I wrote this a long while ago, not sure what I was trying to say." you lied

"true, it is a little hard to remember things from the past." He said smiling again

When the teacher walked in he asked everyone to sit and Makato had to leave to his desk. Everyone had three minutes to read over their papers before turning it in.

"When everyone is done I would like the papers to be set on the back desk. I will read all of them over and give your scores by tomorrow. Once that is done I will have to compare with the other teachers to decide the winner. As everyone might know by now the top three will be pinned up in the library for all to admire." he told us

Many of the students stood up to turn in their papers, you being one of them. As you walked to the back someone shoved you and you bumped into a purple-haired boy.

"I'm so sorry." You said looking at him as he was just a little startled but still had a blank face

You noticed there were three papers on the floor written in ink and In hard to read cursive. You bent down to take hold of all of them and handed them back to him.

"Your handwringing is pretty." You said before thinking

He was emotionless, he did not do anything. He just took them from you without a word and walked past you, placed them on the desk then walked past you again. Though there was a faint mumble that came from him.

"Thanks."

-ˋˏ✄┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈
Published: Aug. 26. 2020
Major edit: April 30, 2021