- Twelve -

"We use egg whites, not the whole egg itself!" Jin said

"Yes we do, we use three whole eggs, mix, then add sugar, it's in our notes!" Junichiro yelled back

You just watched and kinda followed what they were doing. You were mostly just adding a bit of sugar, then handing the ingredients to them while they cooked.

"Don't forget what happened last time I followed your notes, Junichiro!" Jin said a bit irritated

"What happened?" You said itching for something interesting

"Junichiro almost-" Jin was interrupted by a hand placed over his mouth

"Nothing happened! It was nothing! Get back to adding sugar or clean up some of the mess or something!"  He said to you

You frowned a bit. You decided to check on the oven so you bent down to look through the glass. It was hard to see through the glass.

"Hey guys, can I open the oven?" You asked, but they didn't reply they were too focused on insulting each other.

You decided to open the small door anyway and took a peak. A gust of warm air hit your face as you smiled a bit. It smelled nice, like vanilla.

"(Y/n), here. Try poking a toothpick through it to check if it's ready," Jin said as he grabbed one and showed you.

He dropped the small wooden toothpick halfway into the cake and took it out to show you.

"It's still liquidy, it's not cooked through yet," Jin said with a grin on his face "I'm sorry we've been arguing. How about we make some frosting?"

"We should make it the right way, my way, following my notes!" Junichiro yelled

"Shut the hell up!" Jin yelled as he turned back around away from you. "I'll make the best frosting with (y/n) using my notes and you can make yours, the loser doesn't get credit for the frosting!"

"Fine, fine, that's one way to resolve this," Junichiro said, scratching the back of his head.

"Look, (y/n)" Jin started

He grabbed a bole near him and the ingredients that were near him as well. He turned to you with a happy smile as he waved to you to come closer.

"To make some really good frosting we separate the yolk from the whites. Be careful when you crack the egg not to waste it."

You watched Jin do it in amazement you tried to follow. The two of you continued to make the frosting, which was very fun.

"I think we're done. Do you want to try it?" Jin asked happy holding up the bole

"Hold on! I'm not done with mine!" Junichiro said as he was still mixing his frosting

"C'mon I win this, Junichiro. You threw away two batches already." Jin said with a toothy smile

Junichiro said nothing, just looked away with an irritated face. As they were talking you tried the frosting. It was sweet and great to go with a cake.

'The cake!' You thought

You checked the time and saw it was past the time to take the cake out. You got to the stove and opened it up only for black smoke to gather into your face. You quickly tried to reach for the hot rack. Before you knew it two large hands slipped under your arms and pulled you out of the smoke. You kept coughing a bit before you opened your eyes to see Junichiro had pulled you back.

You sat on the floor as the teacher ordered everyone to stay back and open the doors and windows. He said it was not a fire and nothing to worry too much about.

As you sat there not knowing what else to do, Junichiro crouched down next to you.

"What the hell were you thinking! You can't just continue to take the cake out when there is that much smoke, it's not good for you, and without mittens! You could have burnt your hands! You- You're-" he tried to insult you but nothing seemed to come out.

"I know, I'm sorry if I worried you." You told him

You turned to him to smile and he only frowned and raised his hand toward you. He flicked your forehead lightly before speaking.

"I wasn't worried- just uh, don't be stupid anymore," Junichiro said frowning his brows a bit

"Are you ok?" Jin's voice was heard as he ran to you from the cabinet in the back of the class. He was carrying a first aid kit as he sat on his knees in front of you pushing Junichiro away. He grabbed both of your hands and checked if they were ok.

Why did he look so crazed with worry?

"Jin, I'm okay." You told him but he didn't let go, it was like he didn't intend on letting go for a while... why?

He was shaking quite a bit too.

Maybe I scared him? Maybe something happens in his head that I don't know about. He looks like he would crumble any minute. Does he have anxiety? Did I bring up a bad memory?

"Jin, it's ok. I didn't get hurt." You tried calling him again to get his mind working again, and it did.

"Sorry I was just worried."

And the way he said that

Worried

It felt odd

It felt off

Like a lie

Hm-

No

Not a lie

Just not entirely the truth either

What was going on in his mind? Don't pry at his past- it might hurt him more.

"Hey," you started

The redhead lifted his head to look straight into your (e/c) eyes. You gripped his hands back in a comforting way to make him feel more at ease. To him... everything went quiet, yet your words were clear and so soft.

"Are you okay?"

There was a moment where you were blanketed by the same silence as well. During this silence, he tightened his hands around yours before completely letting them loose and limp.

"...yes. I'm ok now."

-ˋˏ✄┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈
Published: 7/16/2020
Major edit: April 13 2021