Chapter 18

'Puh-lease,' I said to Jenna whose feet was on my legs. 'You're never going to commit. You've said that for – I don't know – maybe, a couple hundred of times.'

'Right,' she fought back. 'And you've said you don't like anybody.'

I formed a frown on my face from the statement that Jenna had made. There was absolutely no way that I'm going to end up liking or loving someone; I just knew.

'What?' My mouth slightly opened, and my back leaned onto the wall.

'Face it,' she said. 'You do like someone right now.'

'No,' I declared strongly. 'I don't.'

'Then why are you getting defensive?'

'Because, I hate matters like this. You should get going now, I know you have somewhere to be,' I said.

'I don't want to leave you alone here,' she made dog eyes.

'Owen's gonna be here. Anyway, it's Saturday, so don't you worry.'

'Alright,' she stood up. 'I'll go now, and you take care, 'kay?'

'Yes, mom,' I jokingly said.

'Hey,' the two said in unison as they passed each other through the door.

'What was that all about?' I asked Owen, who was hysterical when she saw Jenna.

'She and I had a fight last night about wings,' he said. 'You weren't there, so you wouldn't know about it.'

'I was busy with a deadline,' I said as a matter of fact. 'Without me, you both would kill each other.'

Owen was wearing a tank top, revealing his well-developed chest. I fawned over his body unknowingly; my eyes wide at the sculpture-like torso I was seeing.

'Like what you're seeing, eh?' He joked.

'Would I also have those if I work out?' I asked, trying to come across as innocent.

He looked at me with an are-you-even-serious face. He and I dropped the hilarious matter on the ground, leaving it as is because we both knew if we continued to talk about it, the atmosphere here would become awkward.

'Anyway, Owen,' I changed the topic. 'What's up?'

'Same as usual, stressed,' he whined. 'I can't concentrate now that prelims are three days away.'

Something I might have missed was his exhausted state – it was covered by a happy front, and he did appear tired for the past few weeks we met. He's energetic at most times, but there were moments he would just be quiet and unnerving. Owen lied on my bed, his arms covering the whole space while I forced myself to make do with the space I have at the edge of the bed.

'You're taking up space,' I complained. 'Sit down.'

'Let me be for a while,' he closed his eyes. 'I just need to feel free.'

'Okay,' I murmured.

It had been five minutes since Owen napped on my bed, and I was standing beside the fridge, rehydrating myself with water. I went to the balcony to catch some fresh air to recharge my drained brain. What amazed me as I think outside was my current situation – I have no problems, and everything has been an easy sail.

I smiled at the thought of ease. Interrupting my inner peace, I coughed loudly twice which woke Owen up. My breath became shorter as I went back inside. I sat on the couch, hugging the pillow for comfort.