Chapter 10

Hey! Author here.

After you're done reading this chapter, I hope that you would give my friend's book a shot! It's a fantasy book with LGBT characters set on an early era of humanity.

The Prince Gone Rogue by chlscrmnt
https://www.wattpad.com/story/228373319-the-prince-gone-rogue

~~

'I can't take it anymore.' She hugged the pillow along with her folded legs. The more she cries, the more her breathing got worse. I did not say anything in order for her to release.

'Being the eldest in the family naturally have certain responsibilities that one should take but –' she took a deep breath before resuming. '– they're forcing me. Those monsters are making me –'

'Jenna.' I moved closer to her and held her hand tenderly. 'Calm down. Deep breaths. I'm here, no matter what. Tell me, what are they forcing you to do?'

'They're pitting me against my brother,' she said in both anger and sadness. 'Why would they do that to a teen who's yet to realize what the world truly is. Why are they making him suffer along with me?'

Jenna hiccuped many times. Her cries were heart breaking for me who knows and understands what she's going through. Jenna's family is peculiar to say the least.

As we grew up, Owen and I have always been the source of relief of Jenna whenever she gets suffocated from all the expectations she couldn't meet required by her parents.

Her parents started manipulating her ever since she was young, saying that if she didn't do this and that, they would disown her. From there, it went downhill as she became enlightened more and more about her circumstances. As far as I know, the main problem she's facing was the inheritance set by her grandfather.

'Grandpa died, Peter,' she muttered. 'Grandpa died. And now, half of the inheritance will go to me. My parents, they're forcing me to give it to them and if I don't, I would be removed from the family and my brother would also experience what I felt.'

'Hmm?'

'My brother, I don't think he can take it if I leave him alone. He's fragile, easy to break and manipulated. I learned that the hard way and it almost ruined my life.'

Jenna's distraught face implied that she really cares for her little brother. Although she talks to us regarding her problems, she doesn't weep that much. She's more used to putting up a front than crying it out. I've known her like that ever since we became friends.

'Cry it out, Jenna,' I consoled her. 'Anything I can do to help?'

'No,' she sobbed. 'Just stay with me, I don't know what might happen to myself if I'm left alone.'

'Jenna.' My heart felt weak seeing her in this state. In my embrace, her eyes stopped tearing up.

'Let it all out.' I smiled at her. 'We've been through so much and we have to stay strong.'

'I know,' she said as she looked at me with her eyes filled with agony. 'But what did my brother and I do to deserve this?'

I remained silent, not knowing how to answer such question. It's better if I don't say anything because I might invalidate her experiences. It has been rough on Jenna, and I just want to take my share on her load.

She stopped crying. Seeing her current state, I went to the fridge to get some water for her. 'Here.' I gave her the glass of water as I pet her hair. 'Drink it.'