Chapter 8

'Hmm?' I acted as if I was listening seriously.

'There was something on your eyelash that time, but then it flew away,' he  mimicked the actions as he spoke. 'And you left me without ever having the chance to explain, I didn't think that it would create this atmosphere. That's why I was so confused earlier.'

Just realizing that things have been due to my imagination, I inwardly face palmed. You know, I have been overthinking it as it all began when he did something I knew he was going to do but, I got flustered unknowingly.

'Fine,' I gave up the matter. 'I'm sorry for acting that way.'

Owen revealed a wide smile, making my eyes lock on those luscious lips that drew me. Beating up my thoughts, I stood up and tried to gather all the trays and plates that were used to be returned. I said to Owen as I lifted the trays, 'I'll be back.'

'What's happening with me,' I said trying to correct myself as I walked towards the counter.

The lady on the counter noticed my troubled face as I give her the trays.

'You seem disturbed, want to talk about it?'

'It's nothing.' Subconsciously, I released a sigh.

'It doesn't look to me that way,' she said. 'Is it about a friend?'

'How'd you know?' From my laid-back self, my body straightened up and stole a glance back to Owen.

'It seems I was right.'

'He just suddenly acted out of place, y'know.' Seeing she wasn't going to stop probing anytime soon, I started talking to her about it. 'I can't understand his actions – his stares.'

'Honey, I might not know all the details, but shouldn't you already have the answer to it?' She put her arms on the glass covering the food as she leaned on them.

'Pardon?'

'Never mind then,' she said. 'It will fall apart rightly, don't think about it for now.'

'Okay?' I left her with confusion evident on my face and went back.

'Guys, I gotta go something happened –' Jenna spoke in a rushed manner. She appears to be distraught, something bad must've ensued when she got that call. Owen looked at me with a face asking what-do-you-think-happened-I-don't-know-what's-happening. Jenna resumed what she was saying, 'It's a family problem, I really have to go.'

'Take care!' Owen and I loudly said as she waves her hand while she ran.

'I wonder what happened.' Owen seemed to be lost in his thoughts, the same as I was. Jenna driving back to her family indicates that it's serious even though she tried to hide it. In return, I replied to Owen, 'I hope she's okay.'

*

'Hey.' I gazed to Owen who was beside me as we were walking back to the dorm. 'Do you remember the guy who's drink I paid for?

'Yeah,' he said, tilting his head to me. 'What about it?'

'We're going out tomorrow. Well, I texted him first for the payment, but he wanted to hang out.' Owen's walking became slower after I finished talking and oddly enough, his face appeared serious. There he goes again, that same vibe I kept feeling from him.

'What do you mean?'

'Huh?' I said in confusion. 'Didn't I just explain it to you?'

'What I mean is why are you hanging out with him.' He raised his right eyebrow. 'You barely know him.'