Chapter 2

We ignored her ramblings and proceeded to the counter, where we would order. It had a pretty decent line, considering it's already 7:10 in the morning. I was ahead of Owen in the line and we talked about things that happened while we were gone.

His summer was fun and bright compared to mine. His family went on a trip to the Philippines, mainly on Palawan where they stayed at for the rest of the whole summer. He told me that it was healing and the activities that could be done there were amazing. I'm so jealous but what can I expect from an alcoholic father.

Right now, I'm kind of missing mom. Or totally.

He noticed my tiny reaction to his story and comforted me. 'Hey, we'll go to a trip this winter vacation. Don't be sad now.' His 6-foot height shadowed my being while his arms were patting my shoulders. His gaze seemed worrying with something I couldn't explain for the first time.

'Let me repeat it, A Venti-sized Almondmilk Honey Flat White for -' I gasped when I heard my usual drink, thinking I had already ordered it. I looked at where my feet were, and it wasn't my turn yet and so I was confused at first. It turned out to be someone's order, not mine. Silly you.

I observed the guy over six foot as he placed his hand inside his pocket. He kept patting both sides and the one on the back, but the wallet wasn't there. 'I'll pay for it,' I said to the barista in front of me.

'Oh! You don't have to do that. I could've just left,' he said as he scratched his head trying to hide his embarrassment.

The least he could do was accept it; I was trying to save him from his current state.

He turned to me, trying to convince me with his actions that I should just let it go. I looked at his eyes, not noticing I was charmed. His eyes were the right tint of hazel, which allowed me to see my reflection. His blowout hair complemented his perfectly defined jaws. That deep stare along with his gorgeous lips made me lick my own lips subconsciously.

Everything was in total agreement, my mind and heart raced. It's a dream, a dance - no! A stance. Everything is so messed up right now.

Going back to reality, I said, 'It's fine, you could just pay me back later.' We both agreed on that. I acted a little odd earlier, and what's weirder was that time seemed to have stopped. It's similar to a movie scene with music and the slo-mo effect but this time, it happened to me.

Odd, indeed.

He went to the side, waited for his coffee. It was my turn and I gave out the orders to the barista in front. I turned back to Owen to ask for money. He was looking at me with complete shock and I could sense a tinge of jealousy from those eyes.

'What?' I asked.

'Nothing. Here's the money.'

We got our orders and went back to the table where Jenna was seated at. 'Jenna, here's yours. Here's mine.'

'Thanks,' Jenna said.

I kind of want to tell Jenna about earlier but, something stopped me. I don't know what it was, but it made things easier. However, Owen's reactions earlier were peculiar, why did it contain jealousy? Is it because I paid for it? I don't think Owen would get jealous to something as simple as that. Right?

Anyway, I just noticed something and it's that I paid for my drink. Sigh. Why am I so nice? Things soon got lively on our table but before we left, the person whose drink I paid for came at our table.

'Hey, I don't know how to contact you but here's my number,' he said. 'I'll pay you later. Thanks again.'

Everything happened too fast that my friends and I couldn't react. He left as soon as he finished his words. We just stared at his back as he pulled the glass door.

'Care to explain?' Jenna demanded with a pout on her face. It didn't sink into me that this handsome fellow gave his number to me hence, I wasn't able to quickly respond back.

'Uh...' I prolonged. 'It's hard to explain.'

'What's hard to explain?' Owen butted in. 'Long story short, Peter paid for his drinks as he couldn't find his wallet and now, he gave his number so he could pay back.'

'What do you mean it's that simple?' Jenna probed for more information. 'How could you "coincidentally" bump on a perfect creature that gave you his number? It's like asking someone out, who does that? I reckon he's straight'

*

As soon as we got outside, we parted ways as our buildings weren't the same. I was a Psychology major, Jenna was PoliSci, and Owen was taking Nursing. I took Psychology because I wanted to fix myself, fix my pessimistic and negative thoughts by understanding how the human mind works.

You could say this is an effect of what I experienced back then, trying to find relief by knowing and understanding the situation and the factors surrounding it. Maybe this is fate, or maybe this is just me coping.

I walked inside the building and went to my class. The professor was talking about Cognitive Psychology and how their treatment differs from just giving out medications. I know some of the topic, but I wasn't able to focus on my class. I couldn't focus at all no matter how I tried to; and this went on for the whole day.

Before going back to my room, I went to my favorite Ice Cream place in the campus. Sally's. They have the best mouthfeel and texture in the whole place. Besides the wonderful texture, the old man behind the shop was kind and welcoming.

'Welcome!' Old man Sally greeted me as I stepped in. 'The usual?'

'Yes, please.'

I was walking on the streets, going back to my dormitory while eating my ice cream. I take in the fact that every time I eat this, it brings back memories. One time, I cried at the park while eating this - thinking of how we used to go here with my late mother. We would often talk about how my day went and if there was any problem, she would hug me and say, 'It will be alright.'

Now, a tear fell on my face; remembering the past that made me so happy. I wanted to go back. I want to go back. Even for a little moment, if God wills it, I would be satisfied. It would be thrilling. I know that I'm a mess and others might feel obligated to take care of me. Trust me, I want to be taken care of. However, if I continue to act that way, everyone will leave me.

I continued along and I turned to the corner where my dormitory was. I entered the place, dragging myself given my tired mental state. I was tired of feeling - of being alone in this world. One moment, I could be so happy around with my friends and yet I would feel isolated afterwards. That's how it has been for me, after my mom died. Nothing but her kept me alive.

As I open my door, I noticed that somebody also opened the door across me at the same time. I turned around to see a closing door. Well, someone finally occupied that place. It has been vacated for almost a term, nothing but air lives there. Oh right, there was someone behind me earlier. Maybe he's the new tenant; I think I was too tired to even notice it.

I lay on my bed and scrolled through social media when a text popped up.

Owen: Hey, let's go to the mall tomorrow.
Peter: Sure, I'll invite Jenna

He was texting something. There was an ellipsis, but it stopped. I didn't probe much into it as I was too worn out. But suddenly I hear a knock on my door. Trying to drag my body up, I grunted. I was walking slowly towards the door saying, 'Wait a minute.'

The knocking stopped, and to my surprise, they understood my words which carried a fatigued tone. As I got nearer to the door, I heard a voice saying, 'Hello?' I quickened my pace for a bit and grabbed the knob. I turned the knob and pulled my door. Barely glancing at the other person, I started from the feet up to the face - I was stunned when my vision cleared up.

~~

Hey! Author here.

If you liked this chapter please like and follow me for updates.