Chapter 4

I turned off the video, subsequently, our energy started to calm down. I went back to the living room to take the face masks. I skipped back to the bathroom and inspected what she was doing. As I was not familiar, I tried to analyze the instructions on applying them but ultimately failed as it was written in other language so, I asked Jenna about them. She tore the packet off and took the piece inside. She hinted at me pointing the most obvious thing that I should do – put the holes where it should be. Thereafter she applied the mask and appeared goofy. I soon followed her instructions and went to the living room.

I went to the kitchen area, trying to delve whatever's edible. As usual, it's only chips and leftover pizzas from three days ago. Hey, no one other than me lives here and that means "my place, my rules." I grabbed the Doritos lying on the shelf and the salsa in the refrigerator. Why is it that I only have Doritos, I know how to cook but instead, I chose to just live an unhealthy life. Saddening. Going back, I remembered the text Owen sent me. I opened my phone recall what was it about.

'Hey.' I grabbed her attention. 'Owen wants us to hang out tomorrow at the mall, you up for it?'

'Really?' She was just confused as I was. 'I never thought I would come to see this day where that homebody would ask us to hang out.'

'Hear, hear,' I said.

'Well, that's odd. I guess it's a change of character or –' She suddenly stopped. This has become a habit of her, stopping sentences midway, it's truly getting annoying. She continued, '– or something's up.'

'No, please stop.'

I stared at her in disbelief with her made up theory. It's true that it's out of character for Owen even so, can't a man just change for good? This speculation of hers is otherworldly. I remained stubborn and decided to ignore her nonsensical ramblings.

'So, what's next, Ms. Planner?' Making a fun out of her, I copied her current state. I stood up and pointed at the door. 'I kind of wanna leave this place. Let's go outside?'

*

'The park's amazingly quiet this time, huh?' I said while tying the laces on my shoes on the platform in front of me.

'Definitely,' she said, agreeing to my thoughts. 'People should be outside by now.'

'No matter what, we have this place all by ourselves.' I looked up to the sky to see a resplendent full moon and a wide array of stars shining. The wind passed by me and the leaves on the trees whizzed. It was dark and quiet. I searched for a place where we could rest and observe the surroundings. I found and walked to the nearest bench, patted the seats, and called Jenna.

'I wish it's always like this,' I murmured.

'Same.'

I leaned on her soft shoulders and closed my eyes. I hear Jenna humming a tune from a song we both loved. I will forever remember this moment. Having friends around you, knowing that you have someone to rely on, is the best kind of feeling I could possibly have. I've always been isolated for unknown reasons, and it's certainly heart-warming to have someone you can talk to.

'Hey...' She straightened her back startling me. 'Isn't that the guy earlier?'

'Really, Jenna? How could you recognize someone who's body is covered in track suit in the dark?' I contemplated what she said as it is too much of a coincidence to see someone in this big campus.

'No, It's really him!' She stood up and examined his back keenly. 'His height and that wristband he's wearing. It's him!'

'Are you for real?' I just wanted to drop the topic off. 'It's just a coincidence.'