Chapter 5

Click. A yellow light coming from the lamp shade illuminated my study table placed at the corner of the room, right next to the sliding door of the balcony. I walked three steps to my right and pulled the sliding door, letting the cold breeze in. Staring outside for three minutes, I leaned on the railings. I released a heavy sigh.

'Life's getting repetitive.' I closed my eyes as my thoughts drift away. With my mind completely empty, my heart rate slowed down. I took more deep breaths, achieving a peaceful state as if time had stopped. Being disconnected to the material world, I reflected on the past.

-

I clenched my teeth, enduring the all the pain. People started crowding the scene, from journalists to passersby. In spite of this, the police had already barricaded the place, restricting the citizens to probe more. My vision started getting fuzzy. The surroundings were filled with bright red lights coming from vehicles of two different forces, both the paramedics and police working together. I buried my face, the noise coming from everywhere roamed around my head letting me recall the event that just transpired.

'Please, don't.' My mother begged as she placed me behind her back. I peeked a little bit, trying to comprehend the situation. There was a burly man beside the crooked streetlight near to us wearing all black from head to toe. On his right hand which was covered with a glove was the .45 revolver he was pointing to my mom.

'Shut up!' The man responded with a hint of anger in his voice.

'Please, let us go.' The woman beside us went on her knees and begged. 'Please.'

As soon as I had somewhat grasped the situation, my knees shook and my fingers fidgeted. I couldn't breathe; I was losing consciousness. Not knowing what is about to happen, I pulled my mom's shirt out of fear. 'Mom,' I called out as my voice trembled.

'Sir! please put that gun down or else.' A female officer had shouted, infuriating the man. The rest of the police have raised their guns in response to the man's actions.

'Or else what?' The man replied placing his index finger in the trigger. 'You'll shoot me?'

'Let's settle this in a different manner.' The male officer in front of the police car that was located opposite of the gunner's position had said. 'I know you're scared right now, but we'll take care of you.'

'I beg of you, please let us go,' my mother pleaded in a barely audible voice.

'Please,' I spoke in a soft voice while sniffing. 'Don't shoot. Don't shoot anyone here.' I mustered up the courage, resolute to what I said.

'Henry.' I hear the woman turned back and whispered to the child of the same age as me with sadness evident on her voice. 'Stay put, everything -'

Flash. Piercing noises echoed deafeningly as it permitted through the air when the shadow of the man six feet ahead of us had pulled the trigger. Followed by the sudden bangs, two shots late by half a second were released by the female officer who was behind the man. I looked to my right, the woman who had suddenly stopped talking left her mouth hanging while hugging her son.

'Mom?' I asked as I turn my head back to where it was. The woman next to me grabbed me, fearing that I might also get hit. I stumbled and kneeled on the ground still looking at my mom in horror. The event replayed on my mind with nothing else other than my mom who struggled to speak to me as she reached out her arm. A tear fell on her face as she collapsed on the floor, leaving a loud thud. I was left agape as I fainted on the woman's arms, ignorant of what ensued next.

I looked up to the officer in front of me who was saying something I couldn't hear. I hid my face on my palms, sniffed, and cried out loud. Clearly seeing the stretcher they're carrying from the spaces between my fingers, it sparked the hatred in me. In the near future, I would be incapable of loving someone in fear of being left again.