Lamb Skewers, a Cracked Phone, and Backstage Vibes

Start from the beginning

"That may be true, Hyeon, but that doesn't change the fact that she is sick. We can go check on her later. We have to focus on the concert right now," Areum explains to him in a gentle tone.

Yeonhae clears her throat, bringing their attention to us. Both of their eyes widen in surprise before they straighten up and turn towards us.

"Yeonhae-ssi! Is something wrong?" Areum worriedly asks. I hide a grin at how cute they are. The way they snapped to attention so fast was honestly adorable. The two of them looked to be only a couple of years younger than me.

Yeonhae sighs as she shakes her head. "This is Akari-ssi. Since Subin-ssi is sick, she will be helping us out. She'll be like a production assistant." I'm immediately the subject of two curious gazes. It takes everything within me to keep myself from fidgeting awkwardly.

I grin at them, hopefully concealing my anxiety. "It's nice to meet the both of you. I hope I can help out." That didn't sound bad, right? I always get nervous about what I say after I say it.

"Thank you so much, Akari-ssi!" Hyeon and Areum chorus in unison. After they say that, two identical mischievous, shit-eating grins spread across their faces.

I suddenly feel very worried. Yeonhae pats me on the back, a sympathetic look crossing her features for a quick second.

"I have to go. You'll be reporting to these two. Once again, thank you, Akari-ssi," Yeonhae tells me, a hint of laughter in her voice. When she finishes, she leaves like a demon is chasing her down.

"Do you know what a production assistant is?" Areum asks me, causing me to look back towards her. Shifting nervously, I rub the back of my neck. Production assistant? I don't think I've heard of that before.

"No, I'm sorry, I don't," I apologize with a sheepish smile. As long as I'm far away from any makeup, I'm willing to do just about anything.

"Why are you apologizing? It's fine. A production assistant does whatever needs to be done. Basically, the jobs no one else wants to do," Hyeon pipes up.

Oh.

Their scary grins make so much more sense now.

Fuck.

~o0o~
Backstage

(4:30)

I jog over to a make-up artist with at least four different palettes in my arms. Apparently, he had accidentally grabbed the wrong ones and absolutely had to have these specific ones.

Ducking into the little, sequestered area he has for himself, I catch the tail end of what he's telling the backup dancer whose makeup he's doing.

"—and you really need to take better care of your skin," he, quite rudely, remarks.

'Like you have any room to say anything.'

I don't say my thought out loud, even though the look on his face would've been priceless. Instead, I hurry and cut off whatever he was planning to say next.

"I'm back! I got you the palettes you needed!" I purposefully exaggerate my sentence, trying to draw his attention away from the poor backup dancer.