17| The truth is about to come out

"Answer!" says Summer as she hands me my phone.

"So what did he say?" she asks after I drop my phone in the bed. As it jumps it turns to the screen of my phone. For an instant, image of Nate looks at me with his sweet eyes. He is the first one that comes to my mind. 

"He said that he had confused me with another client and gave me the results of another woman." 

I take a deep breath "I'm pregnant Summer" I say in a shaky voice before it breaks completely. I burst into tears. Tears of anxiety and stress. Tears of anger. Anger at myself. But also commitment and a part of it of joy. Somehow I think of all this little journey I have experienced and how much I have changed. A few months ago I would completely freak out from these unexpected news. But now I feel calmer than ever. The only fear I have right now is to tell Nate the truth. A big part of me knows he won't be as calm as I am. 

"It's fine, it's okay. We are going to raise our children together. " repeats my sister as her voice slowly fades and remains in the background. She doesn't quite get I have changed and these tears are more a relief. 

"What am I going to tell Noah! And Austin and Mum and Dad...". 

"Hey stop it, okay. We are not telling anyone, right now. You have to stay calm. We are going to this together, no matter what."

"I'm so scared Summer. I am not ready fro this. I had just started liking the idea of staying here in London. Now my life is going to turn in such a mess! It not like you, I can't lie to our family. At the same time I don't feel prepared to tell Nate."

"Think of it as a new beginning. A new life. And I'm going to be here with you. I mean, I did take a break from college this year. I have all the time available for you. You know what? Let's do something tonight to get out mind off all work. It will take also my mind off my baby too. What do you say?".

I stare blankly at the wall. My feeling in completely turmoil. The run through my mind as if they are transported by head winds coming from different directions. 

"Let's do this" and I say it, it feel more distant than ever.

As I pass down the hall of the college to the theatre room, it feels as if I hadn't been focusing on work for years. Hearing other people laugh, talk, study or even walk bring me joy. Now I know more than ever that I want to follow my dream no matter what my future brings. 

"Hey Isla, haven't seen you in a while" says Hope as she stops right in front of me.

"Hi Hope, I'm sorry I have had some family issues. I had to be there for my family" I lie as I look right into her eyes. Is she willing to be my friend?

"Don't worry you do not have to justify with anyone. By the way, I'm sorry the way treated you at first. I'm not so good at making friends."

"It's fine don't worry I know I didn't have the best manners either. I mean in the plane"

"Yeah, I remember. Hey so do you want to hang out after class? " and with that question I know I couldn't say no, although something in her made me doubt just for an instant about her as a person. I mean, she seams so strange. She almost seems to hate me in a way.

"It's okay if you don't want to I totally understand." she lowers her head ready to turn around. I realise I left her hanging with no response whatsoever. 

"No, I will like that." I say already making up an excuse to tell Summer. I don't have any friends here and the best thing to do right now is to isolate from my family. I have to leave from my comfort zone. 

"Great, meet in my dorm" she says smiling.

"See you there" I say and as we walk into class, for a moment I feel as if I was this living the high school years. Having a friend, which is not my sister, really made my mind separate from the real world, as if I was still living my childhood. 

2 hours later

"I'm sorry Summer but I really think she needs a friend right now" I say trying to look sad too. 

"I don't believe you, you're just doing this because you need a friend. Which is not your sister, apparently" 

"You're right, I do. It's just that I spend all day with you and I never had the chance to meet any friends"

"Well, I'm sorry if I came all the way from California to London just because you needed my help."

"I'm not saying I don't want you here. I just want to hang out with someone else"

"Right, so if you're going to hang out, I am too" she says and as if smoke was coming from her years she runs to get the door. 

"Summer, stop you will get caught" I stand up trying to stop her from messing my whole life. 

"No Isla. You will get caught. You made me do this. You deprived me of my freedom. I have to sneak out every night when everyone is fast asleep so you don't get caught. I have to stay in your room when everyone is around so you don't get caught. I have to sneak out when everyone is in class to get some fresh air, so you don't get caught. I had enough of this life. I am pregnant now. Will I give birth in secret too? Do I deserve this Isla?" as she shouts at me I feel completely sad and failed as a sister. I don't know if hormones are making my emotions burst but it surely feels different. I have made a huge mistake bringing my sister here. I have been so selfish. 

"I--" I try but any words could have much sense and could have fixed my mistake. Words aren't enough to explain anything that is happening to me right now. 

"Right, well, now I have to go" she says and opens the door wide open making our bodies stand right next each other.

Hope stands right in front of us, her hand in the air as if she was about to knock. My heart stops, my stomach starts to hurt at the sight of her. A part of me knew my life would change forever. 

"Hope, I can explain..." I say as Summer enters in her room, her face as red as if it was about to explode. I know she is angry with me, but at the same time I know she would have never done anything to hurt me. 

"I-I don't understand. You have a twin sister? In your dorm?" she asks raising her voice each syllable. 

"Keep it down, will you? I can explain..." I say grabbing her arm and letting her inside. I know that the easiest thing to do was to lie to her, but at that time I had enough of lying. Of course, if I had known what was about to come, I would have made that decision right away. 

"So you're saying that you got the wrong plane? How is that possible?" she asks for the hundredth time.

"I don't have all the answers. The only thing I want to ask you is if you can keep this secret. Please, I beg you. My life has completely changed since that day, and I love this college. I love it so much. Please Hope I'll do anything you want" that was also a sentence I would regret after.