Chapter 16

The mustang was a joy to drive. It cruised down the darkening streets smoothly despite its age and to sit with the top down was so refreshing, the wind gently pushing the hair lightly off my forehead as we glided along. 

The late September night was hot but the breeze was cool. As I drove alone with Vic by my side, I felt calm, relaxed, like the party had never happened. I liked the feeling. 

I'd just finished telling her what had made me so annoyed and she couldn't help but laugh, telling me with such a large amount of sympathy that this wouldn't be the last time I'd be annoyed, if anything it would probably get worse. 

"People can get really jealous here," she said with a puzzled shrug, glancing at me for a moment. "Especially towards guys like you. You haven't even been here for a month yet and we've already hung out more than I ever would with half the people at that party, and that kills them. They've tried for so long to be popular when for you it's effortless." 

I frowned. "But I'm not popular. From that group I only know you, and the rest of them despise me." 

"It doesn't matter. As long as you're seen with someone like me, you're considered popular. It's all about appearance, not actually how many people like you." She looked sad again, something I always noticed happened when she talked about her supposed friends. I was understanding a lot more why she seemed so eager to ditch them all the time. 

"Your friends are dumb. You should just ditch them completely, I don't understand why you tolerate it all." 

She paused for a moment, biting her lip slightly. 

"I did enjoy all the attention at some point, it's only been recently where I've been seeing how superficial it all is." She smiled. "And anyway, they're not my real friends, hence why I do leave them constantly."

"Will I get to meet these other friends?" 

She gave me a coy smile. "Maybe." 

I chuckled. "You never make it easy for me." 

"You're driving my car right now, aren't you?" 

I laughed. Actually I wouldn't be driving it for long: I'd just pulled up into the car park leading on to the beach. I found a spot and turned the ignition off, looking over my shoulder for any not-so-casual on-lookers. "Do you think any of those weirdos followed us here?" 

She looked around herself. "I doubt it. They'd be worried if I got annoyed with them and banned them from our parties." 

I rolled my eyes. At least their pathetic behaviour stopped before the line of stalking. 

"Good. Come here." 

She glanced at me with surprise for a moment, a little shocked from the forwardness, but after a small pause she climbed over the hand break to take a seat on my lap. She put her legs either side of me and I grabbed her waist, pulling her close to me so that our faces were almost touching. 

It wasn't long before we were making out. I had one hand in her hair and one on her back as I gently sucked and nipped her bottom lip, before deepening the kiss. When we both were out of breath I drew back only after I had kissed her delicate neck, possibly leaving hickeys. 

"I'd wanted to do that since I first saw you at that awful party," I told her, my voice husky. "You look beautiful." 

She actually had the grace to blush. I smiled at the reaction, happy I could actually have that effect on her. 

"Josie said I looked like a nun." 

I scoffed. "A good friend of Satan would say something like that." 

She started laughing, hard. 

I raised my eyebrows up at her, bemused as she managed to calm herself down slightly. "Are we gonna go to the beach, or do you wanna spend the whole night on my lap?" 

"Possibly would've done," she shrugged, gearing to move herself off. "But then you had to bring it up." 

She tried to get out but I stopped her. She always managed to pull ones over me but if there was something that was to my advantage, it was definitely physical strength. 

"Let me move." I grinned and pulled her closer. "Jack!" 

We started making out again and this time I wasn't as restrained as I had been before. By the time we had finished we were both panting heavily, and our hands had strayed to places they hadn't before. The look she was giving me as we recovered made me wonder how long it would be before we both lost our self control, and I'm sure my expression mirrored hers. 

"Are we ever gonna get to that beach?" I mocked her, diffusing the tension slightly. If I slept with her this early on she would think all of this was just for sex, and I didn't want that to be the case. I wanted more. 

She tried to glare at me but in the end the stony expression fell to laughter. "I'm so going to get you back for this." 

"Sure sure. Whatever you say."