Chapter 12

That night Logan and I didn't go to Veggie Flares with the rest of the crew. 

We stayed in and played video games instead. I was pretty despondent so it was obvious that I was in no mood to go out, and Logan said he still felt slightly ill from Saturday. I knew he was lying but I was thankful for it. He was a good friend and I didn't want to be alone at the moment. 

It was surprising how close Logan and I had gotten in less than two weeks. I wasn't particularly a touchy person but right now I was quite comfortable leaning up against Logan's shoulder, staring blankly at the living room wall as he played a solo round. 

I was currently lounged out across the sofa like a depressed slug, sipping my third bear as my mind raced back through the timeline of my relationship with Anna. Situations that I'd chosen to repress when we were together were now resurfacing, goading me as I began to realise I could've seen this coming. All those strange moments I'd seen her around Jeff had seemed irrelevant at the time but now I wished I'd been more discerning. 

I felt like an idiot. 

"See, I'm so much better at solo mode then you are Jack. It's not even a competition," Logan said as he blew up a load of enemies and the round ended. I let out a laugh but it was pathetic and forced. He sighed. "I thought you'd feel better after a few drinks. Stop thinking about her- you're better off now that she's gone." 

"I know...it's just that I feel so stupid for not noticing the signs," I voiced my thoughts out, the alcohol making me feel more open. "There were quite a few times I saw them together on their own, like at parties they would sometimes sit together and hug and stuff. She always sold it to me that they were good friends but clearly that was a lie." 

Logan pushed me off his shoulder and made me sit up, turning so that I was facing him. He looked more serious than I'd ever seen him before when he spoke to me next, his tone almost fierce. "You shouldn't be feeling annoyed with yourself about anything. All of this was their doing: your girlfriend cheated on you and your friend was the homewrecker. None of this says anything negative about you at all." 

"Doesn't it though?" I pondered, feeling the bout of depression I'd been riding on starting to rise out. "If she cheated then she clearly wasn't satisfied with the person she was with. Maybe I wasn't good enough for her." 

I'd never particularly been that self-conscious before but at the moment I was feeling a sort of vulnerability I hadn't really experienced. It was bizarre, feeling like something was wrong with me when I was the innocent one in the situation. 

Logan scoffed. "That's a load of bull. She's just a big slut and that's all there is to it." 

I gave him an bemused look, surprised at the vehemence behind his voice. 

"Sorry." He grinned sheepishly. "Cheaters just piss me off. Like if you want to be with someone different fine, but have the guts to break it off and not string the other person along. They're just so cowardly." 

I nodded my head, agreeing with him. Anna was a coward. 

"Besides, she's the idiot. That Jeff ain't nothing special. You're sporty, liked by everyone and you're even enough of a hottie to score a shot with Vic Grange! She's gonna be crawling back soon you watch. But you're not going to let her come back, are you?" He gave me a very stern look as if to say, if you do let her come back I'll beat your ass

I laughed. "No definitely not. Even when I am questioning my self, I know I'm worth more than a toy for someone to pick up and put down when they want. She's not getting another shot." 

"Good." He gave me an approving look. "I respect that way of thinking. But stop questioning yourself." He then pinched my cheeks with mocking, brotherly affection. "You're a hot ass and you've got better fish to fry." 

I chuckled again. "I think it's bigger fish to fry." 

"Nope. The American version is better." I rolled my eyes as he stood up to stretch. "Right, I'm going off to bed. Don't have anymore beer: it's not good to drink by yourself." 

"Alright Dad," I teased him but in all seriousness I knew he was just looking out for me. 

"I prefer Daddy." 

I groaned. "Too much information, Logan! Goodnight!" He left the room laughing at himself and I couldn't help the smile on my face. Yeah sometimes my flatmate was an arse but he was also caring and I was so glad it was him who I was living with. 

I went onto my phone and started deleting the photos I had of me and Anna together. She didn't deserve to hold up memory space any longer. After deleting her phone number I scrolled down my contact list and my finger hovered over Vic's name. 

Ah what did I have to lose? I pressed call. 

She picked up after a few beeps. "Hello?" 

"Hey Vic, it's Jack." 

"Oh," she paused and if I wasn't being delusional I could've sworn a bit of nervousness entered her voice. "What's up?" 

"I was wondering if you were free right now." I know it seemed a bit forward but I wanted to be with a girl who actually thought I was worth spending time with. 

She sighed. "Jack, I'm not gonna be your booty call." 

I laughed. "No I just wanted to hang out. I don't care where." 

"Oh." For the second time in the conversation she made a surprised pause. "Okay. Yeah I'm free. Meet me at the uni car park in ten minutes." 

"Sure." I grinned. Maybe this day wasn't a complete throwaway after all.