Chapter 5

My first official day at university turned out to be pretty sweet and I was in a good mood when I returned to the flat that afternoon. 

After the first lecture with the rowdy guys I met cooler people who were more left-field and interesting. The two girls, Rachel and Molly, invited me to lunch and I got to know them and their two mates Jared and Drake. We all hit it off so we made plans to go to some indie bar/club they'd heard about in town, and I told them they could drink at ours before. 

I knew Logan wouldn't mind but I messaged him anyway. He responded enthusiastically and told me indie was more his thing so he would be happy to come. I couldn't help but smile when he said that; I'd been lucky to get a flatmate who was so easy going and cool. I knew some who were definitely not that fortunate. 

I was already enjoying meeting new people in general. Back home I'd grown up with the same group since primary school, and whilst I was glad I always had that security, it was nice to get to know completely different people for a change. It was an experience I probably wouldn't have received if I didn't go to uni, and that gave me another reason to be glad of my decision to leave home. Not to mention it also distracted me from regretting anything and missing people, so it was all positives really. 

After we'd had some food that evening, me and Logan began to give the kitchen a bit of clean, not really wanting my new friends to view our place as a dump. It was a nice place and had a good amount of space, but because of our lazy weekend we'd kinda left it in a bit of a heap. I just hoped it wouldn't take too long as I hated cleaning, and I'm sure I wasn't alone in that. 

"So," Logan started as we scrubbed some of the surfaces. "Have you thought anymore about that girl we saw at Devs on Saturday?" 

I chuckled and described the conversation I'd witnessed before my first lecture. 

He laughed but looked surprised with the story. "I didn't realise she was a big name on campus. We've only been here like a few days and I've heard more about her than anything else. Her name got mentioned a couple of times by some girls on my course, but they were more talking about her two friends, Josie and Danielle." 

"What were they saying?" 

"Basically how they're bitches." 

I laughed. "I mean all those fans probably do get to their heads." 

"Yeah a hundred percent." He paused as he moved on to do the sink. "I still think you should go for Victoria though, I reckon she'd like you." 

"You don't even know her," I said, rolling my eyes at his attempts to get me to pursue her. "Besides, I don't think it's the best idea." 

"Why?" 

I sighed and I wished immediately I hadn't said anything. I didn't really want Logan to find out anything about the home I'd come from as he'd see how selfish I was, and I wasn't ready for that. I didn't want to lose friends already when I only just started making new ones. 

The best thing I could do was to keep it vague. "I kind of have a girlfriend back home, but we're not talking at all now; like she has no way of contacting me." 

"What did you leave on bad terms or something?" 

"Kind of," I shrugged, really not wanting to get into it. "But I feel bad about moving on because I'm still technically with someone, and it's not fair on her." 

He nodded and stopped cleaning for a moment, frowning as he thought of a response to my problem. "Well it sounds like you're being deliberately vague and I'm guessing there's more to the situation," he started, giving me a shrewd look as I grimaced at his accuracy. "But if you're thinking about other girls than you should probably break it off completely, so it's fair on both of you." 

I nodded but I couldn't help cringing. "I really don't want to call her." 

"Why?" 

I sent him a hesitant look. 

"Just tell me." He rolled his eyes but at the same time his voice softened. "I'm not going to judge you for it, everyone messes up in their life once in a while." 

I sighed. I guess he was right; I may as well just bite the bullet. "Basically I kind of left the UK to study here in America without telling anyone, including her...and obviously she's gonna be pretty upset about it."

"Wow...so you didn't really leave it on any kind of terms than; you just disappeared. Did your family know?"

"No definitely not." His surprised look silently told me to elaborate. "My family are kind of the reason I came here, really. My dad...he owns this successful business and he wanted me to take over. But I wanted to go to uni first and he wasn't having any of it, so I..."

"Travelled across the pond to study instead," Logan finished for me, sounding strangely understanding. "Don't worry I get it: parental pressure can be tough to argue against, especially when they're dead-set on something. Back home in the south we have some families who can be just as controlling, if not more so." 

I smiled at him, glad that he had some sympathy for my situation. "Thanks for understanding." 

"It's fine, I've had some friends who have been through similar situations. I'm lucky: my family is very chilled. I mean I'm studying history of all things, and that definitely isn't the ideal degree for a secure job." He chuckled at himself, before turning serious again. "I still think you need to talk to your girlfriend though, and the sooner the better. It's not really fair on her to keep her in the dark." 

I sighed. "You're right...I just need to grow the balls to do so." 

He patted me on the back and grinned. "Well I'm just glad I'm not in your shoes, but I'm sure you'll manage somehow. Anyway, I think the place is clean enough...are you ready to party?" 

"Wow someone's excited." 

He shrugged. "What can I say? Deep down I'm an indie boy." 

I laughed hard. "Don't worry, so am I."