✰ 32

CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO

—✰—

it had been weeks since the pogues found out the news that sarah and john b we're gone. the four were devastated, heart broken, and overall anger. any emotion, they all felt.

avanis parents were going through a lot of trouble after what happened, her father hitting avani and topper beating him up for touching her. their mom wanted a divorce. she finally realised after so long how toxic her husband was, and it was the last straw after he hit her daughter.
she realised how terrible the two treated avani, her changing completely and treating her so perfect and sweetly, wishing she had all along.

she let JJ stay with them for as long as he needed, the tension between him and topper so thick you could cut it with a knife, but that was only when he and avani left her room.
they were grieving for the loss off their best friends, his brother.

topper was also grieving at the loss of sarah, flipping his shit the first night JJ stayed, blaming him and his friends for killing her and bringing her into their friend group. he eventually settled, apologising day's later and kept his distance since or avani wouldn't speak to him, only glare at him

—✰—

"hey avani, how about you guys go get some food? get out of the house for a while, since you haven't in weeks, i understand why but it would be best" her mom smiled after softly knocking and opening the door to speak, seeing avani awake and JJ passed out like a rock asleep.

"yeah, i think we might, thanks mom" she smiled weakly

"i love you baby. tell JJ he can stay as long as he needs" she smiled, walking out.

avani realised the change in her mom, noticing it was for the best. she was in a toxic marriage for around 20 years, completely brainwashed by her husbands manipulative ways. she was treating her kids like angels she only wished she did earlier, but her husband always told her punishing them is what they needed to get far in life. far with money and the family business that was supposed to be handed to topper when he graduated college and his father retired, but at this rate, that was never going to happen.
she also treated JJ as her own, JJ confused by the sweetness and being spoiled, never having it in his life. ever. it was a completely different life for him but he knew one day he would have to go back to his father which he dreaded.

hannah thornton was a complete different person, around her kids, friends and everyone.

JJ woke up around 10 minutes later, cuddling into avani as she was awake and checking her phone.

"hi bubba, how are you feeling?" she asked, kissing his forehead.

"like shit" he snuggled, his eyes still puffy from countless amount of crying, which he needed after losing his bestfriend- his brother.

"i just, have a feeling there not actually gone, like they're still out there. i'm not losing hope or giving up until i see a body" he said, quoting what john b said weeks, almost months ago when they were searching for his father, only to later found out ward cameron murdered him.

the cameron's. that family fell apart after finding out sarah died. ward and rafe were arrested, but their court dates were yet to be confirmed. avani went with her mom to visit wheezie and rose, living in the big house all alone that felt so weird to be without sarah as that's why she would go there in the first place.
the small girl was a wreck. she was absolutely torn apart by losing her older sis other, then her brother and dad getting arrested and being left with her stepmom. she only wanted her life to be normal again.
avani loved the girl like her own little sister, as growing up with the cameron's by their side, being the two richest family's on the outerbanks.