✰ 12.

CHAPTER TWELVE

—✰—

avani walked through the kitchen to get a snack, spotting topper, their mom and deputy shoupe sitting out on the balcony.

"what the-" she mumbled

"press charges!" her mom shouted at the officer, repeating herself.

"oh no..." she mumbled, knowing they were talking about JJ and pope for sinking toppers boat by his reaction.

"we're on it, mrs thornton" the officer sighed, walking through the home as he saw himself out.

she watched as the squad car exited the driveway, driving down the road.

she rushed to the front door, slipping in her birkenstock's as she grabbed her keys, being stopped at the front door by her mother.

"where do you think you're going?" she stayed, placing her hand on the door so she couldn't open it.

"out" she grunted, storming out of the door and rushing down the front steps to her jeep, speeding off towards heywards seafood store where she knew pope would be, to attempt to warn him before shoupe arrived.

she ran from the parking lot and through the main door of heywards store, seeing JJ, pope and kiara all doing work.

"hey mamas" JJ said, smiling at the sight of the girl.

"i have some bad news" she spat out, rushing to catch her breath.

"pope, someone's here to see you" one of the workers announced, everyone's eyes going wide as shoupe walked behind him.

"i have an arrest warrant for felony destruction of property" shoupe announced

"young ladies, out of my way" shoupe grunted, shoving past kiara and avani who stood infront of the boys.

"shoupe, what'd he do? so you just gon' arrest my boy? lemme see the warrant!" mr heyward growled as shoupe arrested his son infront of him.

"no no no, stop!" avani said, trying to help pope in anyway she could, shoving the officer away from him, only to be pulled back by JJ, she turned around to look at him sadly.

"stop right now before you get arrested for assaulting the goddamn officer, avani!" JJ growled, avani nodded and gave in.

shoupe told pope his rights, before escorting him outside to the squad car.

"how much did your goddamn parents pay them, avani! how much did they pay you, shoupe!" JJ shouted, the girl flinching under her at his words.

mr heyward followed them out, shoving the teens back as they tried to help, watching the pope walk in shock.

everyone's voices echoed and begin to fade in avanis ears as she was becoming overwhelmed, only to be interrupted when JJ shouted, cutting everyone off.

"it wasn't him! it was me!" the boy shouted.

"JJ, no don't do this!" avani whispered, gripping his wrist, only to be shoved away.