• The letter •

The clock rung , it was 6:00 o'clock which meant that the meet the teachers night would start in about an hour. The clock woke up anne and Gilbert .

"What time is it?" Gilbert asked while yawning and rubbing his eyes. Anne groaned and shut her eyes again wanting to fall back asleep. Gilbert starting to shake her awake knowing that she had to get up or they'll be late.

"Anne , we have to get ready" Gilbert chuckled while Anne opened her eyes again. She sat up on her bed with a sigh.

"Okay , Well since I'm up now I'll get my stuff ready" Anne got up out of the bed , half asleep and not ready for the next hour. Gilbert laid down on the bed with a sigh. He then picked himself up and went to his room to put on one of his suits that he bought in New York.

~

"Hi" Anne said while putting her hand out for a parent to shake. She continued talking and telling them all what they do in class , while that was going on gilbert sat in Anne's chair waiting for the whole thing to be over. He was so tired but knew that this was fun for Anne . She'd go to any doctor thing of his. As Gilbert sat there there was a knock at the door. Everyone turned around to see who it was .

The mailman pulled out a letter and asked "is there any Anne Shirley Cuthbert here?" While looking around . Anne smiled and walked towards the man wondering why she had a letter , she never got any letters . She thanked him for coming and placed it on her desk. She continued on with the night forgetting all about the letter.

As the sun set all the parents and their kids started to leave. Anne thanked them to coming to the school and talking with her . Gilbert got up out of the chair , grabbing his coat and Anne's letter knowing that she'll forget about it.

"Anne" he said letting her know that he was right behind her. She turned around and saw that he had her coat and the letter . It was pretty chilly in New York , well that's what Anne and Gilbert thought at least. They made their way back home which seemed like forever .

Once they arrived Gilbert kissed Anne goodnight and made his way up to his room. Anne opened her door and sighed , looking around the room . She put the letter on a little table , too tired to open at this point and went straight off to bed.

~

A knock at the door woke anne up . Wondering who it was she got up slowly since she was half asleep and opened the door to a happy Gilbert. She smiled and walked back to her bed. She was relieved that it was a weekend . Gilbert started some tea and sat down beside her. He looked around with furrowed eyebrows.

"Where's the letter you got? Did you open it already?" He asked . She shook her head and laid back down on her pillow . He chuckled and put the blanket over Anne's body knowing that she's had a long week.

~

It was around noon and Anne was fully awake and ready for the rest of the day. Anne and Gilbert had decided to go on a walk . So they grabbed their shoes and headed off.

"I wonder what that letter says , I suppose when we come back I'll open it . I wonder if it's from Diana!" Anne said with a happy smile . Gilbert shrugged his shoulders hoping it was good news and not bad. As they walked along the road they stopped at a cafe for some food . Anne ordered some toast and eggs , Gilbert ordered the same. They stayed there for a while just talking . It was late , almost around dinner time once Anne had noticed that they should probably get going. Gilbert agreed and paid for the meal which Anne argued about until Gilbert just gave the waiter the money and left followed by an unamused Anne.

~

They made it back to the apartments around 5:00 pm . Gilbert had offered to cook some dinner for the two and Anne liked the idea.

Anne opened the door and sat down on a chair near her bed. Gilbert went right to the little kitchen in front of Anne's bed. She looked around for the table near the door that had the letter on it. Gilbert grabbed it and gave it to her .

"Oh it says it's from green gables" Anne said confused. She looked up at Gilbert for a moment then soon realized what she had said to Jerry to do if anything happened.

Under her breath she whispered. "No no no no no" she quickly opened the envelope not caring if she messed anything up. She grabbed the letter and read as fast as she could. She looked at the date which said it was from a week ago. As she finished reading tears came streaming down her face. Gilbert not noticing anything asked Anne if she wanted any water. With no response he looked over to see if Anne was there . At first he looked confused and moved his head down to see what was happening. Soon after he realized that she was crying and quickly walked over to her .

"What did the letter say?" Gilbert asked while giving Anne a hug. Still in shock Anne handed the letter over to Gilbert.

Dear Anne ,

You told me to write you if anything bad happened. Well , the doctor came and told me Miss Cuthbert has a week or two i think left. You should come here as fast as you can , she's asking for you

- Jerry

Gilbert's eye opened wide once he was done reading the letter. Looking at Anne who had laid her head on Gilbert shoulder . He kissed the top of her head and sighed.

"I can pay for the train ride to Avonlea. I'll tell the doctors that I have to leave , they'll be fine with it. I can go tell your principal that you'll have to leave as well , you once told me that she's a kindred spirit so she'll understand" right before Gilbert could finished Anne started to shake her head.

"No . You should stay , you've wanted to become a doctor ever since you came back from Trinidad  . I'll go and I'll write you everyday , well every week ." Anne said while taking a deep breath .

"But at least let me pay for the ride and let me tell your principal that you have to quit or something like that" Gilbert said while looking at Anne. She nodded her head with a little tear running down her face.

"I'll go write Fred and Diana . They'll want to know that you're coming to Avonlea and they probably know what is happening . They can help you" Gilbert said as he got up from sitting on the arm of the chair . He grabbed a pen and a sheet of paper and began to write. Anne sat in the chair with the letter still in her hand . Marilla couldn't die , she just can't . Not now.

A/N
I'm so sorry for not updating sooner!! I got really busy 😂😂

I hope you liked this chapter and the next one will be out in a week or so. ❤️