20 - Broken Glass

MADISON

Last night was a mess. I can't believe Charles would've done that to someone.

No one except me and Relina talked that night. The Newmans remained silent. Looks like Charles didn't sleep again. I am worried about him, I tried to speak to him last night, but he refused. He said I must be sleeping.

This morning is so quiet again, Mrs. Newman left for a business meeting elsewhere, Camilla left early to go to her fiance and Charles didn't go out of his room.

I prepared a meal for him. So I decided to bring it to his room so we can speak.

I knocked twice before he spoke.

"Madison?" he said. His voice sounds normal.

"It's me, I brought you food" I spoke.

"Get in" he said. I opened his door and saw him lying on his bed.

"Did you sleep?" I asked him as I placed the food on his table.

"A few hours" he replied shortly.

He hugged me. I didn't know what to say, I just let him do that.

After that I sat on the side and starts thinking of what good thing to say.

"Forget about last night, it's nothing. You're still Charles Newman no one can change that" I said.

"It's not about me that I'm mad about, it's about him looking down on you." He replied. Well yeah, he did look down on me. But the fact that I'm just a mediocre girl, I don't have the power to question his statement.

"You don't have to do that if it's just because of me" I said.

"He doesn't have the right to make fun of something like that. He doesn't know anything about it at all" he replied.

"Don't think of it so much, it's just one arrogant man" I said. It's just one arrogant man like my mother's boyfriend who tried to sexually abuse me.

"You know what, why don't we go buy some things for baby Cinnamon?" he said.

"Someone might see you" she said.

"No one will, I'd be like before dressed like someone domestic" he said.

We did go out and shop for baby clothes. I wish I'd see my baby wearing those that I'd be picking.

"Let him wear this at his first birthday" I said to him as I show him a cute baby outfit which looks like a suit.

"That's cool" Charles said.

"He will be a Boss Baby" I said to him. We both smiled about the thought of it.

We shop for everything, baby bottles, diapers, and clothes. Charles looks happy, not minding other things other than the thought of welcoming our son. And I feel happy now, at least I can get to choose things for our baby.

Before we go home, we ate in the restaurant where Luke works. Luke saw us.

"Hey Madi... Mr. Newman" he said.

"Luke" I said. He seems upset seeing me and Charles.

"Madi, I'm hoping we can speak tomorrow" Luke said. Charles looked at him like he was angry.

"Sure, I'll see you" I replied.

When we headed home, Charles' mother was already home.

"Mom," Charles said. His mother looks mad seeing him and I with the things we bought.

"Helen and I met early this morning. And I met your son, he is a brilliant young man." His mother said.

I was about to leave them when Charles touched my hand.

"Mother, I'm going to marry Madison" Charles spoke. His mother dropped the glass of wine she was holding.

"Charles! What did you say?!" his mother sounds really upset.

"Madam, it's not tru----" Charles stopped me from speaking.

"I'm marrying her, Mom" Charles said.

"You! What did you do to my son?!" his mother yelled at me. I starter crying, I haven't seen her so mad.

"Mother, you can't do anything to stop me from marrying her" Charles said.

"I cannot accept this! You know what we talked about months ago, and it is not going to change!" his mother said.

"Everything has changed mother" Charles said.

"Charles, please tell her we're not getting married" I said. I want him to take back what he said.

His mother is really mad. I am getting so afraid of her.

"If you will marry that woman then better get out of my house! Don't expect to inherit anything from me and your father!" his mother said.

"I'll marry her mother" Charles said again.

"Once you stepped out of this house, you can never return Charles" his mother replied.

"Please Charles listen to your mother" I said to him. I want him to remain here, I am the only one to leave this place not him.

"I made up my mind mom" Charles said.

"You will regret this!" His mother said.

"We are leaving now" he said. His mother started breaking everything, flower vases and picture frames.

"Madison, pack your belongings" Charles said. I didn't move for awhile.

"Madison, you are coming with me. Go get your stuff" Charles said. I did what he said. But I still can't believe what he did.