13 - Us Tonight

CHARLES

Few days passed since I saw Helen in that footage. I remained sleepless since that night. I feel so distracted, just like the days when Helen first went missing. I also lost my appetite, caffeine is the only thing that keeps me going everyday.

"Sir, you look really tired" Dylan spoke as he looks really worried about me.

"I haven't slept for some days," I replied as I continue to type words at the keyboard.

"Is it about the footage you asked, sir?" Dylan asked. He definitely knows me well.

"It is" I replied shortly.

"You can take some sleeping pills sir" he replied. I was taking sleeping pills after she went missing. I almost died at some point, and I don't want to risk it again, not right now that I am expecting my child.

"No, I'll figure this out" I replied.

"You can drink tea or milk" he suggested. Well I think it might help, as a child I drink milk and then I fall asleep.

"I'll try" I replied as I continue doing my work. At least I can still do my job even if the thought of Helen bothers me. Maybe I've learned how to live without her, I learned to do things even if she's gone.

I really needed to work on the files, even if I own this company, I must be a good example to my employees. I still check transactions, check everything that I can see. And boom there it is, an anomaly.

"Dylan, can you give me the papers Xavier submitted for last month's report." I said.

"Yes sir" he replied. He goes out of my office to pick up the paper that I asked for.

I read Xavier's report last month, and I remembered the amount he said about one of our assets. But when I checked a report from one of his staff, it's not the same. The amount written by his staff is much larger than what Xavier submitted.

"Here it is Sir" Dylan hands over the papers. And there it is, Xavier changed the amount.

"Can you call Xavier" I asked Dylan.

"Yes Sir" he replied.

For a moment, I feel betrayed that a friend of mine would steal from me.

"Hey, Charl---" Xavier stopped when he saw my face.

"What's wrong?" he asked like he doesn't have a clue.

"You stole some money from the company" I said with an angry tone.

"What?" he replied looking like he doesn't have any clue about what I'm saying.

"Look" I handed over his report and showed him his staff's report.

"It doesn't match" I said.

"But ----" i didn't let him finish.

"You're fired, I don't want you to work for me anymore. It's the least I can do besides suing you" I said.

"Charles, please don't do this" he asked.

"No, I can't. You've been a liability here." I replied.

-----------------------------------
MADISON

I haven't spoken to Charles since the wedding night. I am worried about him. I always see him like he's always tired.

"Are you pregnant?" Relina asked me.

She must have noticed my growing belly.

"Yes, I am" I replied.

"Oh who's ----" she said.

"I'll tell you about it later" I replied. She smiled and I know that she's been suspicious all along.

Later that day, Charles arrived home. He looks worse that the other days. He seems angry and sad and stressed, all the negatives are like in him.

Maybe he's thinking about Helen again. I wish I didn't tell him about it.

I decided to make some tea for him. It will make him feel better.

"Sir" I said as I knock on his door.

"Get in" He replied. I opened that door and saw him sitting on his bed.

"Some tea?" I said.

"Yes, thank you" he replied. I placed the tea on his table.

"You seem off when I told you about Helen. I regret telling you that. I'm sorry" I said as he take a sip of the tea.

"It's alright, it's not your fault" he replied.

"I think it's my fault that you are not feeling well" I replied. He looked at me, he seems crying but on the inside.

I sat next to him.

"The next time I'll see her, I'll never let her go again, I'll get her for you" I replied. I will totally do that, because I wanted to end his misery. He is a good man, he deserves happiness.

He smiled a bit and touched my belly.

"He's getting bigger" he said. He's talking about our child, his child.

"He can be a she" I replied. He smiled again, a bright one, a different smile.

"Can you sleep next to me?" he asked. Did he really mean it?

I didn't answer. I don't know what to say.

"I think I'd sleep when I'm not alone" he said.

"If that will make you feel better" I replied. We slept together. And it definitely made me feel different. I feel important, I feel loved and needed. It was like back then when my Dad takes me to the playground and to the movies, just like that.