Endgame - Part 2

This was frustrating. Rin didn't believe in signs. He refused to believe that this was one.

Makoto tapped his finger twice on a legend near the high school.

"The City Council building is right beside our school."

Nope. This wasn't happening.

"Rin, please," Makoto sighed.

Rin was scowling and crossing his arms defensively, "I want to go a different way."

"And what way would that be? The DMZ stretches on to the west and south of here. We're right in the middle of Iwatobi now. The only possible option is northeast."

"Then how about east."

"There's no way we can walk east from here. There are mountains and roads that lead to dead ends. We have to go north to the shoreline and then head east. If we want to head to the border even faster, we'd have to walk on the train tracks."

Rin didn't like this plan one bit. His scowl deepened.

"The swim club is on the way, isn't it? We can make a pit stop there."

"... fine," Rin bit out, aware that there was nothing else that could be done, "But we're not going to city hall or Iwatobi High."

"For god's sake."

The five-hour trek they'd taken to head back to Iwatobi SC had been alarmingly devoid of anyone, zombie, feral or otherwise. Rin sometimes thought he'd heard stragglers, perhaps even snippets of a conversation, but every time they'd turned a corner to investigate, it had turned up nothing. After the big battle at Tono Dam, maybe enough thugs had been killed off... though it didn't account for the lack of zombies. Rin briefly remembered the high pitched shriek they'd encountered a handful of times before this, how it had scared away the blues from attacking them, how it had lured away zombies.

They had agreed to spend one night in the swim club, to ensure they were at maximum strength for the eventual journey to the shore. There was little daylight left and neither Rin nor Makoto relished the thought of traversing the FDMZ without any light to guide them, not to mention the piss poor visibility courtesy of the fog. Rin was happy to huddle up in a corner with a packet of Natchan orange juice and count out all the ammo he had left.

On the other hand, there was this.

In drying yellow spray paint, on the wall beside where they had placed the relay trophy: