Lost & Found - Part 1

Rin woke up, breath caught in his throat. As the images from his dream slipped away – cold hands, white-pupiled eyes, half-rotted face – he relaxed against the worn futon and closed his eyes, taking in a few slow breaths and rolling onto his side. It had been a while since he last had that dream, the one with the funeral procession marching along the coast and his father's corpse reanimating on the bier, and he wondered if it was because he had talked about his father to Makoto, or because he was so close to Iwatobi.

A quick glance at his watch revealed that it was still relatively early in the day. Rin stretched briefly, feeling his bones crack into place, and let out a sigh as he sat up. That had been a good post-run nap. Earlier in the morning, he and Makoto had done a good circuit through the university grounds for all the things they needed. In the back of his mind, he thought it was a shame that they'd have to leave such a well-fortified place behind. Tottori University had farmland and all sorts of equipment. A small town could thrive here if they utilised all their resources well. Then again, Nakagawa Akiko was right; a life left for dead was no life at all.

"Oh, you're up. Want some food?"

Makoto appeared around the corner, a bowl in hand. Rin grunted, accepting the reheated leftover vegetable stew and wordlessly shovelling it into his mouth. Makoto was chattering on about their preparations and Rin merely made noncommittal noises here and there as he ate.

"I was wondering about our route. I mean, I know we've already planned it, but..."

Rin gestured vaguely at Makoto to go on.

"What are the odds we can double back to the hospital?"

Rin's hand stilled halfway to his mouth. He placed the spoon down into the bowl and turned to look at Makoto indecipherably.

"Excuse me?"

Makoto shifted uncomfortably, eyes darting away briefly before they met Rin's once again.

"What... What are the odds we can double back to the hospital?"

"Makoto," Rin began, a scowl twisting his lips, "Do you remember where we were before we came to Tottori U?"

"... the hospital. But—"

"And do you remember why we had to leave the hospital in the first place?" Rin didn't even let Makoto attempt to answer, "Zombies. We left the hospital because there was an entire hoard of zombies on our heels! We even had to jump from the roof, do you remember that? And you're saying you want to go back? What for? We've got all the supplies we need here in Tottori U, and then some! So unless you've got a really good excuse – and I mean 'there's a fully fuelled helicopter there that I know how to pilot!' kind of really good – there is no way in hell we are turning around to explore a zombie-infested hospital."

Makoto opened and closed his mouth, trying and failing to articulate his words as he gestured nervously with his hands. Rin just glared at him expectantly.

"I think—"

"You think."

"—I think there's someone there."

"Someone."

"Someone I know. I think... I think he might be alive."

"If he was while we were there, he sure ain't alive now," Rin narrowed his eyes, "And how do you know this?"

Makoto hesitated, "I... read it. In Nakagawa's journal." When Rin didn't say anything, Makoto took this as the signal to continue, "She wrote about a student from Iwatobi who was doing supply runs for a commune holed up in the school. He'd collect food from the university and medicine from the hospital – the hospital had been occupied back then, just like here. In return, they'd get him to courier all sorts of things, from books to information."