The Sorting

Disclaimer : I don't own any of the following characters. They are the property of J K Rowling.

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Harry and Regulus had claimed seats near the window since they were first ones to arrive in the compartment. Hermione sat next to Harry and Noah took sit next to Regulus. They all were silent at first but the silence was broken by Hermione.

She turned to Harry and asked him, " Did you get a pet ? You looking for it in the store weren't you ? "

Harry said, " Yes and No. I didn't get myself a pet at the store, instead I got something that will hatch into a pet. See here it is . " Harry removed a small reddish orange colour egg out of his pocket and held out his hand for everyone to see.

" It's not dragon's egg, is it ? " Hermione asked shuddering slightly at the thought of Norbert, the dragon that had hatched in Hagrid's hut.

" No, It is not a dragon's egg. It is definitely a egg of some bird. Because dragon's egg is white with occasional blue green spots. "

Surprisingly, it was Noah who had spoken up. Everyone looked at him with surprise. " What ? I really love reading about magical creatures. Besides me and my dad we go on trips for searching nearly extinct animals. ", Noah said.

" But, what kind of egg it is then ? ", Regulus asked. "I can't say for sure now but I will write to my dad once we reach Hogwarts. He will surely know about it. ", Noah said. " Besides, we also check in Hogwarts' Library. I read in ' Hogwarts: A History" that there are more than 80,000 books in it." Hermione said.

'Trust Hermione to bring up the topic of Library' Harry thought and the rest replied "Sure." in a chorus.

" So, In which house do you think you will be ?", Harry asked, wanting to know their opinion about houses.

" I guess I will be in Slytherin. But Ravenclaw also seems to be nice. I really don't know what my mum will do if go into Gryfindorr like Siri. She will probably skin me alive and send me a howler like she did to Sirius." Regulus said with a shudder.

Harry was shocked to hear his views. He had assumed that Regulus will say Slytherin with conviction but he was open to idea of being in Ravenclaw as well as Gryfindorr.

" I will probably be in Hufflepuff. My Dad too is in Hufflepuff." Noah said.

" I could be a Ravenclaw as well as Gryfindorr. But I don't know for sure, since I am a muggleborn. " Hermione said. But in her mind, she firmly decided to be in Gryfindorr since it was her first home.

"I will probably be in Gryfindorr." Harry said sensing that everyone wanted to hear his views regarding the same.

They spent their time chatting, talking about their past, present, likes and dislikes till the time wear the school robes came. They all dressed in their robes and were scared and excited for the upcoming sorting.

" Um... guys , we will be friends even if we get sorted into different houses, won't we ? You are my first friends. So I don't want to lose you just because we get sorted differently. "Regulus said, looking a bit nervous. They all looked at each other and then said, " Friends forever" and hugged each other vowing to themselves that they would protect their friendship no matter what they would have to face. What they didn't know was it was just a beginning. A lot was yet to come.

The moment they got off the train, they heard a loud, booming voice calling, " First year, over here. No more than five in a boat. "

Harry nearly jumped with joy on hearing Hagrid's voice. He would have rushed for to talk to him if Hermione hadn't stopped him. She said, " Remember, we don't know him. " Harry slumped a bit, but nonetheless walked towards the boat.

They got into a boat and waited for the fifth person to get in the boat. A small, timid girl with blonde hair climbed the boat. " Who are you ? " , Regulus asked.

" I am Emily Mannering . But you can call me Em.", The girl introduced herself.

Then she saw Harry and turned towards him and said, " I never really got a chance to thank you properly that day when you saved my life."

" What happened ?", Everyone asked nearly in chorus. " I think its a story for other time. ", Harry said as the boat started moving.

As everyone admired the view of Hogwarts, Harry said," It has been a long time since we have seen Hogwarts in its full splendor, isn't it ? " and Hermione just nodded.

Soon the boat came to an halt. Everyone quickly descended the boat and waited for the main gates to open. Soon enough, Hagrid knocked the door three times and the doors of the giant fortress opened.

Professor McGonagall led the first years made them stand in a row. A small table stood infront o them having a old, battered looking sorting hat. Professor Mcgonagall opened list that was in her hand and called out loudly, " Abster Abigail" A small girl went forward unsteadily and sat on the table, The hat called out " Ravenclaw", the moment the hat touched her head. The List went on as follows,"Alvin Serena " " Hufflepuff" " Avery Richard" " Slytherin" "Balmer Miriam " " Gryfindorr".

Then Professor McGonagall called the name , " Black Regulus ". The hat barely touched his head before crying " Slytherin ". Regulus heaved a sigh of relief and walked towards Slytherin table as everyone clapped. Then she said " Granger Rosaleen " Hermione walked forward slowly and was soon sorted into " Gryfindorr."

Noah was sorted into Hufflepuff and Emily was Sorted into Ravenclaw. Now the only one amongst the group who was remaining was Harry. He steadied himself for upcoming sorting. " Potter Harry " The moment Harry heard his name being called, whispering began. " Is he related to Potters ? ""James has a brother ? He never told us " and several other comments began.

Harry ignored all the comments and walked towards the hat. " Oh! Another time traveller ? Where should I sort you now ? You seem ambitious. What about Slytherin ? " The Hat said. Harry begged, " Please let me be with my parents. I never got a chance to know them in my previous life. I want to be in Gryfindorr." " Oh! Is that so? Then let it be ' GRYFINDORR'."

Everyone clapped loudly as Harry went towards Gryfindorr Table. He knew that getting sorted was only the beginning. A lot was yet to come.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Hope you like the chapter. Forgive for mistakes , if any. Sorry for the late update. I will try to update as soon as possible. Suggestions and Ideas are welcome as always.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

What do you think will hatch out of egg ? Do comment.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Up next : Next Chapter will be in Severus Snape's Point of View. What does he think about all this and why did he really decide to become a Death Eater ? Read the next Chapter to find out.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆