McCree x Reader: Stay

Idk why I'm writing so much angst my dudes. But don't worry it's a fluffy ending. 

It was odd to see him on the couch, his hat placed down at the coffee table and his boots on the shoe rack. The belt he wore gleaming on the key rack. Bits of him were everywhere now. As much as I missed him before, this feels alarming. But of course, I don't want Jesse knowing that. Call it an old habit or just basic communication skills, but I did tell him he could stay here for the night. I was just being a good ex girlfriend friend. I just wish he didn't come here so sudden, I would have probably cleaned up a bit more. Or just remove anything that could make a conversation. Right now, he's sprawled out on the couch and waiting for dinner. It was simple spaghetti and meatballs, because I really wanted to be lazy tonight but I also wanted to show some effort. Looking at it now, it just gives me Lady and the Tramp vibes, and I'm trying to avoid any traces of intimacy with Jesse. Whatever, I'm thinking too much into it as always. This is what friends do, help out each other.

After draining the pasta, I plopped it into two bowls with some sauce and meatballs. Grabbing the forks, I brought the two bowls over to the coffee table and lifted it up. Jesse slowly got up from the couch, sitting up to pick up his fork. "Wow, never would have thought you could actually cook. Thought you'd order something."

"It gets old after a while. Want anything to drink?"

"Any whiskey?" He asked.

"You know I don't drink."

"Not after last time you don't." He said as he stuffed pasta into his mouth.

"Jesse!" I scolded him. It isn't the first time he has made fun of my first and last time drunk. He'll never let me live it down.

He chuckled, "I'll have water." I grabbed two water bottles from the fridge and placed them down . Then I finally sat next to him on the cheap couch I managed to score during a garage sale. With my fork and knife in hand, I cut the meatballs into fours. I could feel Jesse's eyes on me.

"You still do that?" He asked.

"Yea, that way every bite is the perfect amount of spaghetti and meatball." I feel like I've explained that to him a dozen times. After cutting up the rest of the meatballs, I swirled my fork around the noodles and pressed the tongs of my fork into the cut meat. The taste was nice: the red sauce wasn't too sweet, the pasta wasn't too salty, and the new brand of frozen meatballs I used were to my own liking. Good job, me.

"Wanna watch anything?" I asked after I swallowed.

"As long as it isn't the news." Jesse said as he picked up more spaghetti from his plate. I nodded, understanding well enough to know why. Everything is so dark in this world right now, so much pain and suffering. Even if I was a secretary at the medical wing in Overwatch, I saw countless people injured or rolling out confirmed dead. And Jesse had to fight on the front lines. I guess he just wants a break from it all, away from the battles. Everyone needs a break from the harsh reality. So, I flipped through the steaming service and found one of those old cowboy movies I knew would cheer him up.

The movie played as we ate, distracting us from the uncomfortable aura in the air. It was weird of Jesse to show up after being gone for so long. He didn't say goodbye, just left me a note on my desk.

"Had to get out of here. Wish I could've brought you along, but I'd hate to drag you with me. A person like me shouldn't be holding back a person like you. I'm sorry.

Love, J.M"

All of it written like he was in a rush. It hurt for him to leave me just like that. For a long time, it made me question where I went wrong. I'm mad at him for not telling me this face to face. I questioned whether or not our relationship was real. It didn't help that Overwatch was going to shut down just a few months later. Jobs have been a struggle with my resume being forever marked by the peace sign emblem. I ended up working in an office building three years ago, but I find the job boring. You see the same faces, same white walls. Life felt as plain as white bread. I tried my hand at dating, to find someone that could be fun to be around. None of them were what I wanted, none of them could replace Jesse. So, I gave up on trying to find 'the one'. I gave up on trying to find any kind of fun I could have. Until I decided to train in my free time. Don't know if I'll ever be able to use combat, but better safe than sorry.

Jesse was the one that found my apartment and rang the doorbell. Seeing a cowboy through the peephole of my door was an odd sight, especially in the city. When I did open the door, we just stared at each other like we couldn't recognize each other. He had a full grown beard now, his hair a lot more shaggier than when it was when he was young. And... his left arm was now cybernetic. I tried to ignore it, figuring it was a sensitive thing to bring up. We said hi, I invited him in, and tried to hold back all of my aged frustrations to yell at him about. I told him instead to get comfortable and he made himself at home quickly. He's been acting like he had already done this a dozen times before. Acting like nothing has changed. Like he didn't write that letter. Why was he acting like everything was fine?

As I came back from my train of thought, I saw the movie credits rolling. How long was this movie?

"Nice choice for a movie." Jesse said. He looked down at my bowl, noticing how half of the food remained untouched.

"Thank you." I immediately took hold of the two bowls and walked towards the kitchen sink. I placed one of the bowls and the rest of the utensils in the sink, deciding to save what I had left for later. Going through the drawers and finding the plastic wrap, I pulled out a sheet and placed it over the bowl. Putting the bowl in the fridge, I turned around to see Jesse no longer on the couch but on one of the chairs next to my small kitchen island.

"The food was pretty good, too. Don't know why you didn't finish it." His head leaned against his propped up arm.

"I had a snack before dinner." I lied.

He gave me a look, seeing right through my fib. "Something tells me that it's not the case."

I sighed, glancing at the door as if I could just bolt away. "Why couldn't you take me with you?" I knew the answer, I was just hoping he had a different one.

"We both know that your plan in life was to settle down and start a family. As nice that would be, I still had to tie up loose ends. I thought you'd be happier once I was gone."

My eyebrows furrowed as I bit my upper lip, "Well it's a little too late for that now." I was already in my late 30s, chances of me having a child are slim. "And you were wrong, I wasn't happy." My eyes went to the wooden floor, not knowing what else to say.

Even if I didn't know how to fight, I'd still want to go with him. I hate my stupid desk job, I hate having to live in this apartment alone, and I hate that I can't move on because I still love him. He's so damn selfish for running off without thinking about how it would affect me. All he cared about was righting his wrongs just so he can feel like he could do something good in his life. Was I wrong in his eyes?

Then I felt Jesse's hands on both of my shoulders, "Sweetheart-"

"Don't call me that!" I snapped as I pushed his hands off of me. "I'm not your sweetheart anymore, remember? I'm just a mistake in your eyes!" Anger was boiling inside of me, it festered in my gut for far too long. It didn't feel wrong to yell at him, it felt so right.

"You were not a mistake, Y/N."

"Well I felt like one. And you know what hurts even more than you leaving? I couldn't move on because as much as I hated you, I loved you even more!" My eyes widened as I covered my mouth, my face now burning red. Did I just say that I loved Jesse ? He didn't need to know that, we could have just carried on with my feelings locked up and him just being himself. He could have just left just now not knowing any of that.

"Darlin'." Jesse pulled me into his chest, wrapping me up in his arms, "Do you really love me after all these years?"

I let out a frustrated sigh, hating that he wants me to say it again. "I do love you. Even if you are a jerk."

He laughed, making his chest rumble slightly. "Believe it or not, this jerk loves you, too."

I felt the tears trickling down my face, making me wish I wasn't as emotional as I was right now. Jesse rubbed my back, kissing the crown of my head as he mumbled sweet words that made my heart flutter. As soon as I calmed down, I pulled him into a kiss. How I've longed for us to be together like this, to feel the chapped texture of his lips and taste a hint of tobacco from that brand he likes so much. This kiss made it feel like anything was somehow possible. That Jesse and I were going to stay together. As we pulled away, reality set in and skepticism was in the air.

"Are you going to stay?" I asked.

He smiled down at me, "I'll stay with you for as long as I live."

The end.