McCree x Reader: Cold Tension Part One

It's a slow burn my dudes.

Y/N POV:

Being sent on a mission into the bitter cold temperatures of Russia was not my idea. Winston wanted me there, saying that "groups are stronger." It was a mere two partner mission with the mysterious cowboy who huffed a brief "alright" when we were first given the mission. He never gave this response with anyone else. Most agents say he's fun to work with; going on and on about his jokes lightening up the mood when things get dark and his resourcefulness. But for some reason, McCree always acts differently towards me. When I try to make small talk, he shuts me down with brief answers. Whenever anyone else talks to him, he smiles brightly and looks so friendly. I try not to let it bother me, instead choosing to surround myself with people who welcome me with open arms. It still hurts, especially since I don't know the reason why.

"Maybe he has a crush on you!" Tracer exclaimed as she jumped slightly in her seat, the lunch table shaking slightly.

I took a bite out of my pizza slice, the taste being as average as any cafeteria pizza can be. "I don't get how he would if all he does is push me away."

"Would be cool though. I honestly thought the guy was out of the ringer in terms of match making!" Lucio added as he edited his soundtrack on his holo-pad.

"As long as he's single, he counts! I mean- it makes sense. He treats you differently from everyone else!" Tracer argued.

"He treats me like human garbage when I didn't do anything wrong! Let's just face the fact that he probably can't tolerate me and I should just drop out of the mission."

"What if I... Made a bet?" Tracer asked, causing everyone at the lunch table to look up at her. "If you can prove me wrong, I'll buy you any dessert you want. But if I'm right, then you have to pay for dessert on a double date with me and Emily." She stuck out her hand, waiting for my response.

"You're assuming that I'd want to date him?"

"Do you?"

She caught me, I did like him at one point. When I was relatively new to Overwatch, I found him... attractive. He was fit, had a beard that shaped his face perfectly, and nice hazel eyes...Back when I thought he would be nice. His coldness towards me blew me over for ever finding him remotely hot again. Now when I look at him, all I can see is a walking asshole.

I sighed, "Any dessert that I want? Even at the most expensive restaurant?"

"Any restaurant, love. Though I would encourage you not to break the bank."

I shook her hand, looking at her straight in the eyes, "Deal."

"Woooo!" Lucio shouted, "Finally about time lunchtime got a little spicy!"

That bet has been the only thing on my mind since yesterday. I had to prepare to leave tomorrow, so I was looking over all my jackets and coats to see how I could layer up. Zarya let me know after Lucio's big commotion that Russia tends to be cold for 'little shrimps like us.' She suggested I should layer as much as I could or I'd become a human popsicle. It felt like I'd had to do the multiple layered shirt challenge to keep warm in Russia's climate at this rate. It didn't help that my confidence in this mission was at an all time low. Why would anyone rely on a partner-based mission where the two don't get along and in a dangerously cold area? All of that for stupid documents to download on a flash drive. Anything could happen out there, and by that I mean anything bad. I should have dropped out and ignored the bet. Yet, there's a part of me that wonders if McCree really does like me. How naive it is to think that there's a chance he'll treat me like anything other than an annoyance. But I'll give Tracer the benefit of the doubt. At least if the mission goes haywire, I'll have dessert to look forward to.