Cassidy x Reader: Chilly Confessions

The 'it's cold' trope combined with 'confessing feelings' but with a nice fun little twist to keep things interesting.

It was a chilly day on base, nothing like the heater breaking during one of the worst winters ever. Everyone was bundled up like they were heading on a mission to Russia: big puffy coats and beanies on hoodies. The only person who didn't seem scathed was Zarya, who all called the agents who complained about the cold 'babies'. Mei, already layered up like an Eskimo, would try to consol everyone- thinking that telling us the heat will turn on soon was enough for anyone to hold out just a little bit longer. Didn't help that the base was far from any civilization. I was trying to stay warm by the fire in the lounge room, the one that was mostly for show but now had a purpose. My butt was on the hard, cold floor; my clammy hands sticking out to feel the small amount of heat coming from the fire. I was the only one up this late, since the chill in my room didn't knock me out. No matter how much I bundled up, I couldn't stay warm enough to drift to sleep. It was annoying to say the least. I could barely keep my eyes open, sleep almost in my grasp. When my eyes closed, a creek of the door blew them open; my head wiping around to see Cassidy peeking his head through with what looked to be a bundle of folded blankets in his arms.

"Oh, good. Been wondering where you've gone." His voice soft as velvet, my mind in its sleep depravity wished it was an electric blanket so I could plug it in and fall asleep. He was wearing what looked to be his pajamas, given the silhouette being something much looser than his usual gear. Probably the pair of plaid sweatpants he loves so much, a vintage country singer tee, and that light pink robe Hana jokingly got him during secret Santa. As ridiculous as he probably looked, I was enamored by his presence alone.

"Why?" I asked, hearing his heavy feet come over to my side.

"I was gonna give you some extra blankets I found in my closet, but you weren't in your room."

I sighed, "I couldn't sleep in there. I tried, but- well I hate repeating it." I rubbed my eyes, trying to stay awake for a little longer. Cassidy's company was a treat, especially since we're rarely ever alone. He's great eye-candy, and I could listen to him talk for hours. I don't wanna waste it by passing out on the floor.

"I get it, Doll, the weather's not getting any better. I hear Torbjorn might get back from his trip early if we're lucky." He sits down on the floor, unraveling one of the blankets he brought over and putting it over my shoulders. I instinctively pulled it closer to my body, smelling the ashy oak scent of one of his cigars.

"The base will be an icebox by then." I complained, "I never wanted a family reunion to end so badly."

He chuckled, "I feel you there."

My eyes stared at the orange flames dancing in the fireplace, watching the embers flicker their tiny lights. I felt Cassidy's eyes on me, and although I normally look away, I decided either out of bravery or pure boredom I'd meet his gaze. He didn't seem phased, maybe falling in a daze. It was weird how comfortable I felt with him like this; seeing his usual dark and narrow eyes become warm and soft. Even his hair that suffered from a bad case of hat head looked cute.

"How come you're not shivering?" My eyes looked at his light pink robe, noticing he's not using any of the blankets he brought over.

He shrugged, "I guess those years sweating my ass off far west paid off."

I giggled, "Yea right." A yawn creeps up on my lips.

"You should go get some shut eye, Darling, I can keep an eye on the fire while you sleep."

I shook my head, "It's not gonna make a difference, Cassidy. I can have all the blankets on base and I'm still not gonna get warm."

"I could help with that, if you let me."