Chapter 35: Slow Grenade

chapter song: Slow Grenade- Ellie Goulding & Lauv

finals at New York

Park Shin Hye's P.O.V:

It's finally the day we've all been anticipating all year long, the final place where we'll get the chance to sing our hearts out. I stared back at myself through the tall mirror at the outfit they chose for me, a long sleeved white chiffon dress that reached my ankle with a side slit. Walking out, I peeked through the backstage door at the stage set in an open area under the bright blue sky.

Anxiety blossoming, I headed to the rehearsal room that was surrounded with mirrors and saw Racheal singing and swirling in circles before she sat down and reached for her bottle of water. I sat down next to her.

"Where's everyone?" She asked between heavy breaths. Her dress was the same color as mine but instead had a V-neck and was tight and short.

"They're practicing on a separate stage."

"You seem nervous," I didn't think it was that obvious or maybe it was because I kept rubbing my hands against my dress. Glancing g sideways at me she continued, "You didn't tell Taehyung, didn't you?"

I played around with the ring he placed around my finger and felt a heavy burden deep within me. "I wanted to but I couldn't. How could I even tell him his mother was in love with my father and only married his father for money? How could I say that in a way that doesn't make him want to hit his knuckles against the wall? In a way that doesn't break his heart?" I desperately yelled feeling the back of my throat burn. She sighed in worry then tapped my shoulder.

"Try to tell him when the finals are over. He loves you and he would never hate you for something you weren't a part of. Tell him before he knows from someone else."

***

After Samuel High's breathtaking performance was over, the stage assistant motioned for Racheal and Lee_Byun to head for the stage for the play's intro. Suga joined and rapped his part flawlessly. Everything flew softly as Jimin took the stage next with his groundbreaking dance moves over a ground full of water. Grils fangirled over his matching white pants and wet shirt that hugged his chest.

"Are you okay?" I asked Tae worriedly while lacing my hand around his arm. His gaze drifted downwards and his throat bubbled up and down but he didn't seem to reply. His shoulders were ridged and he seemed so tired. He then looked like he was about to say something but then changed his mind when it was the time for us to perform.

The crowd erupted in loud applause when I started to play the guitar while forcing myself not to glance at the judges. When Tae sang his part, snowflakes fell over both of us, the lights were dimmed down and it was only the flashlights from the crowd's cellphones. I wanted him to look at me so I could smile at him, but his eyes remained closed while his chest rose and fell unsteadily.

When the results were to be announced and we were all gathered on the stage, I noticed that Taehyung was nowhere in sight and when I asked Jimin he told me that he was talking to his mother and he seemed like they were having a fight. My mind ran in circles and I was worried he knew everything.

"Allow me to begin by commenting on how outstanding each school's performance was. The card I'm holding contains the name of the three schools in the top three places," She smiled then announced the third place and handed them their trophy before she continued, "In second place is Samuel High," They jumped around in excitement. We glanced at each other worriedly knowing there was only two schools left other than us.

"The winner of the musical performance and going home with a winning trophy is, M&D academy" It took a few seconds for her words to sink in before confetti fell around us and we jumped in a huge group hug with tears of joy. We held the trophy and raised it up in eth air while fireworks erupted in the sky. Even though we won, my happiness still felt incomplete with him not around. Something felt off and I couldn't control the sinking feeling at the pit of my stomach.

***

When we were at the hotel's lobby, I kept dialing his number but his line was out of service. Bad kind of butterflies swirled inside my stomach as I headed over towards Jin that was asking the receptionist about him.

"I'm worried... when was the last time you saw him?" I spoke quickly and he rubbed the back of his neck with jaw share in worry.

"He told me he was going to the rehearsal's room to check on you because you seemed nervous and when he came back he looked in a complete daze and didn't say a word since." I took several steps back while my palm shot to my mouth to cover the gasp. Realization hit me like a train, he heard me and Racheal talking and he knew everything.

I felt myself sway a little to the side but he securely placed his hands around my waist.

"What is wrong? Are you okay? Let me help you sit down."

"He heard everything." I shout whispered just as Racheal stopped at our side and her eyes bulged.

"He heard us." She repeated.

Jin's gaze traveled confusingly between both of us.

"What are you two talking about? Can someone please explain?"

Just then his phone rang and I read the caller's name as Tae's mother. His eyes shot up to us before he slid his finger through the screen." "Hello Mrs. Kim, it is good you called because I wanted to know if you know where..." Suddenly, the color drained from his face while I held on to Racheal so that I could remain steady.

"What hospital?" He whispered and suddenly I started sobbing.

"What happened? What did she tell you?"

"Taehyung got into an accident."

***