Chapter 1

Naruto sat on his bed in his tiny apartment, looking at the new mission scroll he had gotten from Tusande moments ago. His apartment was dirty, despite Naruto's attempts to keep it clean. Rocks, broken glass, beer cans, and old paper bombs littered his floors, messages written on or attached to the rocks that he had heard and seen so many times before.

"Just die demon!"

"No one will ever love you!"

"Fox brat."

"Just do everyone a favor and kill yourself!"

"This village would be safer without you!"

"Why are you still here?"

If whoever decided to bother Naruto that day was to lazy to write, he could hear from the street right outside his apartment because his windows were also broken and shattered from the rocks and other things chucked at his windows. This is something that had happened daily for Naruto once the third hokage gave him this apartment when he was four.

At a young age, Naruto would try to report everything that happened and get help from adults as most children are taught from a young age, but the adults never did anything about the situation. They would either send him on his way or start beating him. And one adult beating him would always soon turn into a mob beating him. At three, it quickly became apparent to Naruto that the only person who cared for him was the third and try as he might the hokage could never do much to help him. That was why as soon as he got Naruto his own apartment, he also started his training. The third did this in hopes that Naruto would thrive as he knew Naruto could do when given the correct materials, and the opportunity to do so.

Unsure of what the council would say, the third thought it would be best to do this under the elders' noses. He had the ANBU guards that were supposed to watch and observe Naruto teach him book work that was taught in the academy, and at home workouts to build up his muscles. But, a year later when they started to teach Naruto different Shinobi techniques and spar with him, the council caught wind of what was happening. Surprisingly, the council was in favor of having Naruto train so that way he could join the ANBU, saying that it would be better to keep the village beast on a tight leash, and use him to their advantage. While the hokage did not agree with this, he knew it was better than the alternative.

So, when Naruto turned six, he moved into the ANBU compound and started more rigorous training. It was in there that Naruto first met his soon to be best friend, Shikamaru, who was also getting put into ANBU because of his insanely high IQ for a six-year-old. A year later, two new ANBU were produced. The youngest in history and quite the duo. Shikamaru took on his father's identity as deer, as his father had quit ANBU and taken the position of a jounin, while Naruto became kitsune (Ironic I know but I couldn't think of anything else and it suits Naruto in this fic). Because both Shikamaru and Naruto became the youngest ANBU in Konoha history, their ANBU identities were well-known throughout the village. No one knew their exact age, but from their appearance it became quite obvious that they were under the age of 12.

When the academy was getting ready to start up after the Uchiha massacre, Naruto and Shikamaru were both assigned to watch over Sasuke and make sure that the didn't become too unstable and betray the village. They both went undercover as students to do this. Shikamaru took on the image of a lazy student, as he was lazy by nature, but never revealing his smarts. If he did, he and Naruto feared that Sasuke would think of him as a threat and constantly try to one-up him and prove that he is superior, as his egotistical behavior became apparent after a few days of observing him. Naruto took on the role of the academy failure and dead-last, as well as class clown. It not only made since with the way he was treated as a young child, but it also assured that Sasuke knew of him to some degree. It also allowed Naruto to become Sasuke's "rival" without Sasuke, or anyone else, taking him too seriously. This persona also benefited Naruto outside of the academy, as civilians and anyone else not knowing of Naruto's ANBU status, he seemed less dangerous and slowly, the villagers stopped beating Naruto. However, the ugly glances, whispers, and the damage to his apartments never stopped.