Chapter 23 The Palace

Shen showed the girls all over the palace. Most visited: the stairs. Christine had never seen so many stairs in one building. Lian was still in her mother's arms. Christine figured she'd tire easily by walking up the endless flight of staircases and wanted her to feel safe after what just happened.

 Shen showed them the various rooms; armor room, training room, multiple dining rooms, the Grand Hall for royal feasts, the throne room, his room and finally, their room. The doors were intricately engraved and inlaid with gold and jade, large handles also engraved and inlaid only added to the beauty. Christine was almost afraid to touch them. He opened the doors to a large room, red wood pillars painted with gold designs held up the ceiling, also painted red with designs. A large bed was near a large stained-glass window and had red silk sheets, white satin pillows and a thin red and white canopy over head. A red carpet with gold trim ran from the door to the bed with many patterns in a dark red thread embroidered in it.

    Christine looked around the room with wide eyes. "Oh, Shen. It's beautiful! She said in awe. She took a few steps inside to better see the room." What do you think honey?". Lian  slowly climbed down, looking about in amazement. " Wow its so big!".
"You like it?" Shen asked nervously. After seeing her reaction to what happened to Master Rhino, he didn't want to upset her any more. "Yes, it's amazing!" She said turning around to look at all of the room before spotting the bed  " Mommy mommy Look !". The cub ran then jumped up. " It's so big you can, like, fit a hundred of me on this thing!". Christine actually smile a bit.

    "Good, very good," Shen grinned. "I'm very glad you approve". Christine furrowed her brow. "Why's that?" she asked . "Because, you are going to be spending a lot of time in here," He said closing the doors behind her.  She turned around to just see his face before the doors closed and ran toward him. "What!" she yelled and started pounding on the doors. "Let us out!"

  "You can come out once you've calmed down, settled in and I've finished tending to a few things," Shen said running his hand over the surface of the door. "In the mean time, enjoy the view and relax. I'll be back soon". Christine turned away from the doors in a huff and sat on the bed, facing the window . Lian crawled over. " You okay?". She gathered her in her arms. " I'll be fine, blossom. Jut a little frustrated"

"at Shen?"

She took a breath. "He's is, by far the most "

"He's a royal pain in the ass " Lian blerted out which made her mother laugh. "Lian Lu! where on earth did you learn that word?". She shrugged. " Boss wolf". Christine rolled her eyes. " Of course".

"Yeah he said Lord shen was a royal pain in the ass". Her mother sat her in her lap. " Yes, that may be true. But that isnt nice. Don't repeat it, okay?". Lian made a face. "fine".

    Shen sighed and walked away from the doors heading toward the fireworks factory. He didn't want to keep her in a room, but he didn't want to risk her getting away again. Besides, he thought, She didn't seem to like me watching over her and this is the next best thing. "Keep an eye on them," he said to two wolves. "If they need anything, bring it. Don't let them out until I have returned." The wolves nodded and took up post outside the room. Shen smiled as he turned and continued on his way.

    For the rest of the day, he oversaw the melting and collecting of the metal. He smiled and gazed down at the hot molten metal being filled with more metal. He then checked he molds to make sure they were filled to the top and didn't crack during the cooling process. He stayed late into the night before returning to the palace. As he headed toward his room, he stopped by Christine and Lian's room to check in.

    "How is everything, ladies?" he asked from outside the doors. When nobody  answered, he looked over at the guards.

    "Lady Linghun has been quiet all day," said one, "and the little one might be asleep."