Chapter 21 As soon as possible

Hello my fellow readers! finals are finally over for the semester so now I will have more time to write more chapters. Enjoy!

The trek back seemed much longer than the trek away. Christine was nervous, what if Shen had realized she was gone? What would he do to her daughter? She didn't want her to get punished for deceiving him . She was quiet for a while. Glancing around the snowy mountains she smiled, she and Tai Lung used to play in these mountains before he was sent away to chorh- gom. She held that smile before the wave of sorrow came crashing back and she had to prevent herself from breaking. Regaining her composure she tried not to think about it, doing the only thing she could think of to get her mind off it.

I'm trying to hold my breath
Let it stay this way
Can't let this moment end
You set off a dream in me
Getting louder now
Can you hear it echoing?
Take my hand
Will you share this with me?
'Cause darling without you

The wolves listened quietly until one spoke up, complimenting her. "you're voice," he said, " It's beautiful". Christine, spooked, stopped singing before turning around looking quite embarrassed." Im sorry". She blushed a little. "No no, don't stop," pleaded the gorilla.. "Please continue," joined in a wolf. She perked up a little. "very well," she smiled. She cleared her throat and started singing again, a little louder this time.

All the shine of a thousand spotlights
All the stars we steal from the night sky
Will never be enough
Never be enough
Towers of gold are still too little
These hands could hold the world but it'll
Never be enough
Never be enough

For me
Never, never
Never, never
Never, for me
For me
Never enough
Never enough
Never enough
For me
For me
For me

The gorilla and wolves listened to the ballet, feeling their hearts ache from unexplained sadness that they felt.

All the shine of a thousand spotlights
All the stars we steal from the night sky
Will never be enough
Never be enough
Towers of gold are still too little
These hands could hold the world but it'll
Never be enough
Never be enough

Christine felt the stinging cold on her face from the stray tears that had escaped.

For me
Never, never
Never, never
Never, for me
For me
Never enough
Never, never
Never enough
Never, never
Never enough
For me
For me
For me

She held herself for a moment then let it go.

For me

Shen was getting impatient. Christine was gone who knows where and he was hoping she hadn't run off. He was also enraged by the fact that he allowed a mere child to distract him and ordering his wolves around wasn't helping his mood either. He soon resorted to pacing outside her room where the sounds of banging and yelling could be heard. " Let me out! Please Lord Shen! Im sorry! " the cub begged as she pounded on the door. Her constant wailing and outbursts were cutting his patience short. When the truth of Christine's escape was revealed he scolded the girl for lying, but he didn't lay a hand on her, resulting in merely locking her in the room . Growling he hit the door with his fist. " Stop it! Stop this at once! You're being punished!". She was silent in an instant. Rubbing his temples he hurried to a window and looked outside. Shen peered into the distance and saw a small group of dots. He was able to sigh in relief when he found out it was indeed Christine. He turned to the wolves. "Let's load the ships, I want to leave as soon as possible."

As Christine got closer and closer to the factory, she got more and more nervous. She knew what Shen could do and she was right to fear him. They were still a ways away when a wolf ran up to them. "Lord Shen says to load the metal you have on the boats. We're leaving as soon as possible." Boss Wolf nodded and turned to Christine. "Lord Shen's probably looking all over for you. You'd better go see him.". She nodded and reluctantly headed toward the factory. She took a deep breath before tentatively walking inside. She took a few steps before Shen dropped down from above her. "There you are," he said as he fell toward the floor below. "I was worried you had run off.". Christine turned around just before he landed on the ground behind her. She was surprised he was so calm about her leaving without saying anything. Then she realized that her daughter wasn't anywhere to be seen. " Where is Lian? What did you do to my baby?! Because I swear if you-! "

" Calm yourself," he waved his wing, " Your child is safe, I have not caused her any harm. I locked her in her room". She let out a relieved sigh. " Oh, and I hope you enjoyed your little journey," Shen continued walking in a circle around her. Oh boy, Christine thought. Here we go. "Because you won't be doing that again," Shen finished. "I'm sorry," Christine apologized, "but I needed something to do other than stand around or walk around here."

"I understand," Shen said. Christine's eyes widened with surprise. "Just don't expect to do it often or any time soon. Now, our boat is ready to depart for Gongmen. Go fetch your daughter". She nods before bolting to her room, opening the door she found Lian crying on the bed. " Lian?" she calls. "Mommy!" the cub hopped off the bed and ran into her mother's welcoming arms. " Im sorry mommy! I failed you! Im sorry! " she wailed into her her mother's chest. Christine was able to calm her down after some time of her crying and wiped her tears from her eyes. " oh honey honey it's okay. You didn't fail me. I was wrong to ask you to lie and I'm sorry. I won't do that ever again" she apologized as she held her. Lian wiped her nose on her sleeve. " Is lord shen mad at me?" she sniffed. Christine blinked. " No, hes not. Lord Shen is just a little fusterated thats all. No need to get upset. " She smiled, stroking the cubs head. " promise?" lian asked.

"Promise".

Christine and Lian gathered their belongings and went back to the boats where Shen was waiting for them. Lian held her mother's hand, not making eye contact with Shen as he approached, still feeling ashamed. " Are we all set?" He asks to which christine nods. " Very good, now let us be on our way".Gently placed a hand on the small of her back he led them to the boats. Boss Wolf ran frantically after them. "Lord Shen, LORD SHEN!" he called, but they were already gone. He sighed. "I'll have to tell him at Gongmen."