Chapter 14 The Journey Continues

The next morning brought the sixth day of travel on the mountain path. Christine still walked behind Shen's carriage, much to his disappointment, and was getting a little more comfortable around him. lian was talking to two wolfs by her mother. During this whole ordeal Christine felt guilty that Lian had nobody but her to play with or relate to her. But seeing her now all talkative and happy made the mother relieved. It made her nervous at first, seeing her daughter around such scary looking wolves, but the wolves seemed happy to have her around.

During the journey Shen would sometimes walk with christine, much to the surprise of everyone, and would almost always try to get her to join him in his carriage. She would always decline, and he would get frustrated.

 It was around noon when two small goats spotted the procession, mainly christine. They followed for a while before deciding to attack.

 christine was following Shen as usual, trying not to make eye contact because he would ask her to come inside with his eyes. one technique shen used to lure christine into his carriage was asking lian if she and her mother would like to come in and join him inside. Thinking if the cub wanted to come inside she would have to follow. The cub practically sprinted over to her mother and told her, and at first Christine had to admit she was a little apprehensive with being in the same room as shen. With enough begging and complaining from Lian she uneasily agreed to let her daughter ride with him.  Lian asked her mother to come with her but she still declined. When Lian came back and told Shen the peacock didn't know how to react. The lord didnt want to really be left alone with the cub, he wasn't really keen on children. When the two sat and chatted, he was surprised on how sophisticated she was. For a seven year old the young leopard had well manners and seemed above her age. Needless to say he grew comfortable with the cub's presence.

The goats made their way toward the edge of the overpass they were on."Do we go now?" asked one."Not yet," said the other. "They hafta get closer."

"How 'bout now?"

 "Almost."

 "Now?"

 "Wait for it…" Both waited a few tense seconds before one yelled, "NOW!!". The two goats leapt off the overpass and headed straight for christine. "YAHHHRGH!!" They yelled as they soared through the air.

 The wolves immediately stopped and went on alert. christine looked up just in time to see the goats before they hit her, sending them and her rolling away. When they finally stopped, christine was on her back and the two goats were sitting on top of her. Shen and Lian were inside in the middle of a conversation when they heard commotion coming from outside. The cub, curious peaked out and when she saw the goats her eyes lit up. "Yang! Yun!" lian exclaimed as she ran out of shen's carriage much to his protest. "lian!" they cheered in unison as the cub ran up to hug them."What are you two doing way out here?" lian giggled. "Well," Yang started. "We were playin up there when we heard someone talking."

"So we went to go look," added Yun. "When we saw your mom, we wanted to say hi!" she giggled. Christine smiled, she sat up and dusted herself off before coming over. "That's so sweet but, does your mother know where you are?". Their ears drooped. "Aww, Miss linghun. We got so excited ta see you, we didn't tell," they both said sadly.  "What would your mother think?" she asked. "What if she came outside and saw you were gone?". Yang and Yun put their heads down. "She'd be worried," replied Yun sadly. "Not just worried, frantic. You live so close to the edge, she might think you fell. As a mother, if lian went missing I would lose my mind thinking the worst! "

"moooom, stop" whined Lian, embarrassed. "We're sorry," they both said."Don't apologize to me. I'm not your mother." christine picked their heads up. "You need to tell your ma, even if she doesn't know you left."

"But—" Yang started.

"Even if she doesn't know," christine repeated. They both nodded and smiled "It was real good to see ya Lian," Yang piped up, running to hug his friend."Yeah! You gotta come over more often," Yun added."we'll try," christine replied before giving them a big hug. "Now, you two better get home." Their eyes grew wide. "You gonna fling us?" Yun asked excitedly.

 "Well, unless you two want to climb back up…"

"No, no! Fling us, fling us!" insisted Yang."Alright," christine chuckled standing up. "Fling it is."

 "YAY!" they cheered as they climbed onto her arms.

Shen was about to ask what was going on and why lian ran out until he saw christine and two goat arm accessories.  christine got into a ready position and Yang and Yun looked like they would explode from excitement. lian then walked over and stood by shen's side." watch this" the cub ordered. He did as she said and watched intensely.

"One…" christine said getting ready.

"Two…"

Yang and Yun could barely stand the suspense. The wolves were wondering what was going on, making sure to give enough space so they wouldn't get hit in the face.

"THREE!"

The goats cheered as Christine hurled first Yang into the air toward the top of the cliff and then Yun. "YEAH!" exclaimed Yang as he hurtled to the top, Yun giggled in delight as she made it to the top. "Bye Miss Linghun!" they called as they looked over the edge."Goodbye you two," christine called back. "Now go home and tell your ma where you've been."

"We will!" They said as they ran back home. "Oh, Miss linghun!" Yun said stopping for a second. "I think you'll like what's coming up!" She giggled and resumed running home. Christine smiled and watched them run home. Out of the corner of her eye she saw Shen walking over to her eying the ridge. lian glued to his side"What was that all about?" he asked still looking at the ridge. "Two little goats we barely get to see," christine replied sighing a little. "They live here with their mother, with whom I am friends with. I take lian with me so she and her kids can play"

Shen looked at her. "So, you have been here before?" he said with a hint of smugness.She smiled, shaking her head. "Not this path. I usually take the shorter rout."

"There's a shorter rout!"

"To the top, yes. Through, no."

Shen sighed and motioned to the wolves to continue. "You're sure you do not want to join me?" Shen asked a little hopeful. "I'm quite sure," chistine replied. Shen sighed again. "Alright," he said as he then bent his neck to lian's level. " would you like to join me young miss?" The cub looked to her mother who gave an approved nodd.  Shen extended a wing for Lian to take. She took his wing into her tiny paw and the two walked back to his carriage. " come now, I believe we were in the middle of a conversation". christine smiled warmly as she watched the peacock lord and her daughter step into shen's carriage. "Watch your step" Shen said as he held back the curtain for her. Once they were inside Christine quickly shook her head and walked behind the carriage with two wolfs.