{1}

The small girl struggled against the hold of the older boy that had ahold of her wrists. The other three children stood there watching not helping, "let's see the freaks ears" one of them said.  The others snickered, "I wonder if they really are as pointy as everyone says" one of the girls said.
      The small girls hair was swiped away from her ears showing the in fact pointy ears everyone made fun of her for. "So it is true" a teenage girl said. "You're such a freak" a village kid yelled at her. The rest snickered, "you're eyes aren't natural" a teenage boy yelled to her.
The small girl heard footsteps running up to them, "why can't you just leave her alone, she can't help what she looks like" she heard her brother say. The boy holding her wrists let go, "why are you standing up for your freak of a sister?" Her brother punched the boy that was holding her wrists, "it's cause she is my sister and I will always protect her" after her brother said that he turned to her, "are you ok Dakota" he asked. The small girl nodded her head and they walked back to their small hut they shared with their dad.

>time skip to evening
[Dakota]
     As Dakota and her brother neared their small hut the door opened and their father came outside. "There you are, I've been worried sick, are you ok, is everything ok" he asked both of them. I had been naturally quiet so James has answered, "we are fine Pa, some village kids and teens were picking on Dakota again, but I took care of them." After their father heard that they went inside to eat.
     I was playing with my hair and realized I needed more coloring for the ends, they were turning red again, "I need some more coloring" I said quietly but loud enough for someone to hear. "I'm heading into the village tomorrow I can get you some" James said. "About that" their father said and they both looked at him, "I was hoping I could instead so you can stay here any take care of your sister."
     James knew better than to argue and agreed he seemed annoyed, but was happy to spend more time with his little sister. They finished their meals in a comfortable silence, it was her turn to wash the dishes. "Where are you going" James questioned. I picked up our water bucket and showed it to him, "ahh, it's your turn to do the dishes" after he realized he let her go get some water for dishes.

*by the creek
    I kneeled down to get some water, feeling the coolness of the water on my hands. I smiled and made a flower made out of water, "how can you do that" someone said making me jump. She looked at the person the voice belonged to, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you" the boy about her age said. "I'm Lancelot" he said sticking out his hand for her to shake. "Dakota" I took his hand and shook it.
     I went back to get the bucket of water, "so you have anywhere to stay, I've never seen you before" I asked him saying more than I though I would I'm one sentence. He smiled and looked up, "under the stars" I rolled my eyes. "Follow me, I can see if you can stay with me" I said and Lancelot followed me.

*back at the hut
     I opened the door, "I'm back" I said to James quietly. "I also brought a friend and wondered if he could stay" I spoke up talking to both James and my Pa. "where did you meet this friend" Pa asked. "By the creek, he said he was going to sleep under the stars so I invited him back here" I said semi-confident. "He can stay here for a while if he wishes" Pa said and my eyes lit up going to the door and opening revealing Lancelot.
    I heard James laugh, "of course you already brought him here and left him outside" I smacked him for that. "Don't hit your brother Dakota" Pa looked at me, "and hello, what is your name" Pa asked Lancelot. "My name is Lancelot" he said extending his arm like he did by the creek, which my father took and shook. "Well that is James, Dakota's older brother and I'm Ryder, their father"
     After finishing the dishes I got ready for bed and James let Lancelot borrow a set of his clothes to sleep in. I laid down in bed and played with the necklace James gave me a year ago on my eighth birthday. "Thank you" I heard Lancelot say as he laid beside my bed on the floor. "Most people would have let me stay out there" he said. "Well I'm not most people am I" I questioned and I received a laugh from the boy laying in my floor.
     "I guess not" he went silent for a few minutes and sat up. "So you never answered my question" he said looking at me and I rolled over to face him. "How could you do that, with the water" I remembered by the creek. "I've always been able to do that, the same with fire and shadows" I responded trusting him. "That's cool, I used to know people who could use fire" he looked at the floor and grew a little quieter, "although that was a while ago" he finished setting his head on his knees.
     I got enough courage to ask, "where are you from Lance" I asked him already giving him a nickname. "I used to live with the fey kind, but I had to run. Red Paladins came and killed my family" he said barely audible. "I'm sorry, I didn't know" I said feeing sorry. "You don't have to be sorry, it wasn't your fault" he told me, "now I think we should get some sleep" he said laying back down. I agreed and closed my eyes to fall asleep and had a dream filled sleep about having a friend finally.