Chapter 9

Hamilton's POV

Jefferson was being, as usual, a prick.
Maybe not as insufferable as before, but still a massive gigantic prick.
"I won, Hammy," he kept saying, shoveling the audience's voting paper in my face in the next seat. "I won."
"No, you didn't, Jeff," I replied, smiling. "I did."

"Sure, just because you've got Washington on your side," he replied mockingly. Mr Washington was definitely my favourite teacher, and him pairing me with Jefferson, which was supposed to sour my view of him, may have actually helped to show his tact and patience. After all, that did result in one of the best Cabinet Battles we've had so far.

"Hamilton, a word," Washington called once the class had dispersed. Jefferson snuck in a discreet "Daddy's calling" before going out, and I walked towards Mr Washington.
"Yes, sir?" I asked, fully prepared to get yelled at for my last remark.
"I heard about your scholarship for your Masters degree," he said, gesturing to the chair. I sat down, wondering what he was going to say next. "You need this win, am I right?"
"Yes, sir."
"Son, I advise you keep with Jefferson for the entire tournament, not just regionals."
"I'm not your son," I replied involuntarily, while comparing my options in my mind. Jefferson had been a very good debate partner and slightly more useful recently, and after Theodosia breaking up with him, Burr won't be up to fighting form for another fortnight at least, which is valuable time for practice. Plus, Jefferson and I always had diametrically opposed views on things, which helped the for and against, while Burr was more of a fence guy.

"Okay, sir," I said. "Will you tell Jefferson?"
"I'm sure he'll agree, son."
Holding back another 'I'm not your son', I nodded and left the room, deep in my thoughts, and I hit a hard obstacle in my path. (A/N - get your mind out of the gutter, people)

"Ow!" I exclaimed, and looked ahead to see a a magenta hoodie. "What are you doing here, Jeff?"
"Waiting for you, Hamlet," he replied, backing up and smiling at my discomfort. "Hurt yourself?"
"Stop working out for those damn abs, Jeff," I said, fixing my hair.
Wait, what did I just say?
"My abs?" Jefferson chuckled. "Why were you paying attention?"
"Shut up, Jefferson."
"We have history next," he said, walking.
"Why do you know my schedule?"
"I don't, Alexander. We argue against each other in every class."
I conceded to his point. "Where's John?"
They say speak of the devil, and the devil shall appear, and apparently John's middle name was Lucifer as Peggy and him were right around the corner -
"Canoodling," Jefferson said, wrinkling his nose. "What else would you expect?"
"Canoodling?" I laughed. "How old are you?"
"Very funny, Hamilton. At least Peggy has lasted a little more than a week now."
"Good for her."
"Maybe this is it," Jefferson offhandedly remarked.

I looked at him and the two of us started laughing hysterically, breaking Jeggy's bubble of silence.
Jeggy's a good name for their relationship. Or Pohn. No, not Pohn.
I kept giggling as John turned around and flipped us off, and Peggy piped up, "Is it time yet?"
"Yes," Jefferson replied, composing himself. "We should go in."
John and Peggy joined us and we entered class, and sat in our usual formation - John in the middle, me on the right side, and his girlfriend (Peggy for the time being) on the left, except -

"What do you think you're doing, sitting next to me?" I asked, turning to my right.
"John Adams and Charles Lee are sitting in the seats James and I sit in, Hamilton," Jefferson replied. "And I don't want to sit next to Henry Knox."
"Get off your high horse, Jeff."
"Stop being an asshole, Ham."

"Pet names now, is it?" John said, scowling at me.
Both Jefferson and I scoffed, and that's when Mr Franklin entered class. We started concentrating on the lecture for today about slavery, and I could feel the class's eyes on Jefferson as his family had held on to their slaves the longest in America. Even after the Emancipation Proclamation, the Jefferson ancestors had promoted white supremacist propaganda, and Thomas was very distanced from his grandparents after his father had married an African-American woman. Madison had told me enough for me to feel really bad for him, and by the look on his face, he wasn't feeling very good either.

"Hey, Thomas," I whispered. "You okay?"
"I can't have this many people looking at me like this," he said, and I heard a small sniffle from his head on the desk. Was he crying?

"It's fine," I kept whispering. "It's not your fault, you know that."
"Sally broke up with me after meeting my grandparents, you know."
"You can't control what they think, Thomas. You're not racist, and you know that."
"Thanks," he said, and started scribbling.

Jefferson's state made me feel really bad for him, and I resolved to get him a magenta-colored straw to maybe cheer him up later.

A/N : PSA - I am not American, I know almost nothing of American history, all I know is that the giant statue of Abraham Lincoln is not proportional.
Also, I'm a hoe for Hamilton comforting Thomas and not the other way around.
Please do vote and comment if you have corrections or suggestions <3