Chapter 2

Jefferson's POV

I fucking hate Freudian slips.
I wanted to say Hamil-shit. Not Hamil-fit!
This is what happens when you think too much about your singledom, Jefferson, and you must stop. The fact that I haven't had a significant other ever troubles me, simply because I've always fallen for people who were in relationships or didn't like my gender. 
And I thought being bisexual was supposed to help with your chances.

I made my way into the library and sat down at the last table in the fifth aisle, took my laptop out and started to look more into the topic given. I had to at least fill in with the real-life example, and I had to find it quick, before Hamilton could smugly offer me an argument and imply my uselessness. It was a relief that my favorite table was clear though, because the view through the window looked on to the surrounding trees, and the birds' annoying chirping couldn't be heard.

Engrossed thoroughly in my work, I continued to make notes on my magenta notebook, when I suddenly heard someone clearing their throat. I looked up and lo and behold, Lafayette stood in front of me.

"Hey, Laf," I said, smiling at him. "What brings you here?"
"I'm here to escape from Laurens and Schuyler," he replied in his thick French accent.
"Which one this week?"
"Peggy."

I laughed. John Laurens could always be depended on to get a new girlfriend every week, and he had worked his way through half of the female population at King's College already. There were rumors of him contracting an STD, but Laurens was a medicine minor (with a zoology major), which made him hyper-aware of symptoms, and he hadn't panicked in the last month, so I would say that he's either fine or has syphilis. 

"Will you help me, Laf?" I said, gesturing him to bring his chair closer. "Your law major might actually help now."
"Mon ami, my law major has never helped me, and will probably never help you."

As we worked on the speech and made a few bad jokes (murder? I hardly even know her), I was feeling a sense of relief as I wasn't concentrated on my imminent death alone. However, a tap on Laf's shoulder broke this little paradise.

"Hamilton!" Laf said, getting up and hugging him. 
"No affection in the world could be enough for you, Laf," said Hamilton, and sat down at the table. I scowled at him and he stuck out his tongue.
"Oi! Quit acting like babies," Laf said, although his French pronunciation changed 'baby' to 'bebe', and that prompted both Hamilton and I to start laughing. 
At that moment, Hamilton didn't look so annoying.
What did I just think?

Hamilton's face morphed back to its usual scowl and he took out his notebook. "Mr Washington had asked us to compare notes, Jefferson, or did you forget?"
"How could I, Hamilton, when your sweet disposition is the one I have to deal with for the rest of the tournament?"
"I bet if you had any common sense you'd remember that winning this tournament could get us scholarships in good universities after graduation. I know you have money, Jefferson, but I don't. I'm flying by the seat of my pants."

I sighed. I wasn't heartless, although Hamilton would argue so, and I knew how important this was to him. Sharing a common friend group could really stir up some compassion, and I didn't want it.

"Alright, Hamilton. Let's get to work."

The both of us compared and contrasted notes, working out rebuttals for the debate tomorrow. Laf left halfway, declaring his aversion to what he called 'nerdy activities' and the both of us were left alone, and we kept working until the librarian asked us to leave. Since our dorms were near each other's, we were forced to go on the same route, and Hamilton seemed a little perturbed.

"What's up, Hammy Boy?" I asked.
"Don't ask, Jeffer-sloth," he replied.
"But I did."
"I'm just thinking."

I accepted his answer and forged towards our dorms in absolute silence. We would sometimes pass some giggling freshmen and sophomores, and quite a few drunk teenagers, but the silence was comfortable. We had never been together and not had raised voices and empty threats of disembowelment, which made this very surprising.

Maybe having Hamilton as a debate partner isn't that bad after all.

A/N : hehe this is fun, innit? Please do comment if y'all have suggestions for the following chapters or some criticism.