Chapter 1

Hamilton's POV

"Good morning, Mr Washington," I said, entering the classroom.

Jefferson snickered.

"What is it now, Jefferson?"

"Mr Washingmachine isn't here, Hamilton. He's off in the teacher's lounge for a meeting."

I sighed. Of course. He had a meeting today, and we were just supposed to prepare for the upcoming singles debate.

"Should we start, Jefferson?" I said, taking my notebook out of my satchel.

"Sure, Hamilton, when you lose the purse," Jefferson replied.

I rolled my eyes. "Just take your damned notes out and we can compare."

Jefferson chuckled and took his notebook out. We had to debate on murder trials, and Burr was originally supposed to be my partner, but after the whole Theodosia mess, he had been a wreck and kept to himself. Jefferson was my last choice, but Mr Washington decided that ruining an hour of my day would be 'good for connection with fellow debaters.' I had a frenemy-esque relationship with Burr, but even that was better than the pure hatred I held for Jefferson.

"So I assume you're beginning with a quote?" Jefferson asked, clearly in mirth.

"Yes. Marian Babson," I replied absentmindedly, writing down a few other ideas that immediately arrived in my brain.

"How basic."

"And effective," I shoot back. "Let me remind you that I won the last mock debate, Jefferson."

"That's just because you've got Washington on your side. We emerged as a tie in the regionals."

"And I got more points, Jefferson."

"Correction, Hamilton. You got more points for content. I, however, could carry the crowd."

It was at that very moment Mr Washington decided to enter. He sat himself down as I wished him a good morning. "So what'd I miss?" he asked.

I jumped out of my chair with my notebook and showed my points to Mr Washington.

"Son, don't you think that's too much to fit in 3 minutes? You haven't even written your conclusion yet."

I fought with the urge to tell him to not call me 'son', and replied, "Sir, this is just a rough version. I'm sure, given more time, my added points will condense into a proper speech."

"And Jefferson?" Washington asked as I went back to my chair. Jefferson nonchalantly replied, "Mostly in my head, sir. Here's the outline - I start with a real-life example, preferably the prison labour system, and I move on to human rights and lastly to rehabilitation."

"Jefferson, do you think that's enough?"

"Sure, sir. I can't go faster than that and get the votes."

"I'm still concerned, Jefferson. Take a few of Hamilton's points."

As soon as I heard Mr Washington utter those words, I felt my face heat with anger.

"Very respectfully, sir," I said, making sure to give Thomas the ultimate stink-eye, "I think Jefferson can hold his own with this outline. After all, one of us has to win."

"And that'll be me, Hamilton," Jefferson sneered.

"If only this was an actual debate where facts are more important than philosophical fiction."

"If you continue, Hamilton, soon your existence will be fiction."

"Jefferson, you must be out of your goddamn mind if you think -"

"Enough!" Mr Washington yelled, and we both sat down. "Jefferson, Hamilton, here's what is going to happen. The two of you will be debate partners permanently, even when Burr comes back. The two of you are the best debaters this college has, and we need to win this debate competition this year. I'll call the coordinator and get the names reversed. Meanwhile, the two of you will work together for an offence and defence, and Burr and Madison will work on theirs. And the two of you will win. Do you understand?"

"Yes, sir," we echoed. Jefferson turned to me and smirked. "Good luck on offence, Hamilfit."

"Good luck trying to have a rebuttal, Jefferson."

Mr Washington sighed. "Go to the library and get to work."

Jefferson and I went on different routes, him taking the one through the field and me taking the one through the cafeteria. I was fuming all the way, but a small concern was messing with my head.

Did he just call me Hamil-fit?

A/N - Hehe I hope you enjoyed this. Jefferson calling Hamilton Hamil-fit is just the beginning of the slips and angst. I hope I actually continue this story lol.