Chapter 6 The phone calls

Flora

The next morning I lay in bed not wanting to get up. I rolled around thinking of Sean and wondering if I had a chance after all. After much analyzing I decided that he didn't hate me, but it was still a long way from what I had hoped. I fumbled for my phone and saw it read 11:19am.

I decided to call Sandra. "How was your night with Dan?"

"Well..." It was amazing how I could sense her smirking. Her smugness was seeping right through the phone. "It was good."

"Are you smirking right now?" I demanded as I padded to the kitchen in my satin slippers. "Did he kiss you?"

"Yes to both questions." Sandra was obviously pleased with herself.

"That's fast!!"

"I've forgotten how much fun high school boys can be. They're so pure." Ewww! What did that even mean? "Speaking of which, did you make Sean your new puppy yet?"

I debated over telling her the truth. Sandra was so full of herself right now she couldn't possibly identify with me. I used to share her confidence in thinking there was no boy hard enough to conquer, but I was sure the concept was still new to her. "I'm making small progress," I said as I threw open the refrigerator.

"How so?"

"I'll tell you when there are more juicy bits to share."

"You mean you have no progress."

"Sometimes you are so annoying, Sandy." I fumed.

"Annoyingly accurate, you mean. Seriously, why're you so intent on getting Sean? If he's not interested you should just move on. He's not as hot as you make him out to be anyway." Sandra agreed Sean was cute, but she had never been able to see just how overwhelmingly cuter he was compared to the rest of the student body.

"So why didn't you move on when you thought Dan wasn't interested in you?"

"Daniel is never not interested in me, thank you very much," Sandra said arrogantly. "Plus you're not as serious about Sean as I'm about Daniel."

"How do you know I'm not serious about him?"

Sandra laughed. "Come on! You know you're not! Aren't you just hung up on him because he's hard-to-get? If he had asked you out you would've dated and ended it already."

"That's so not true."

"Think about it, honey. You're not really interested in him. You're just interested in a challenge, for a change." Sandra sounded so righteous I just wanted to hang up. She was incredibly obnoxious with the way she always assumed that I was only after Sean because of my ego, like he was an animal head I just couldn't wait to hang on our living room wall. "Besides, you don't even know why you like him, aside from his pretty face."

I sputtered and couldn't get out a halfway intelligent response. It was true I probably couldn't conjure up an essay on everything I liked about Sean, but my affection wasn't any less real just because I wasn't Hemingway. Besides, true love can stem from physical attraction. "Well, what do you like about Daniel?" I decided to attack rather than defend.

"His outlook on life," Sandra said smoothly, not missing a beat. "You know, looks may change over time, but I see past the skin."

I just about choked on the Perrier I was drinking. Sandra and Daniel were such a perfect pretentious match made in hell. "With all due respect, an outlook on life may change more drastically than appearances," I said. "Look at Tom Cruise. He looks exactly the same as he was in Top Gun, but he's now a Scientologist."