05 - Speak

Chapter 5

***

After hearing that my sister had passed, I had no idea what to do. I had nowhere to go, and I had no plans. I also had a hard time believing that after all this time she was gone; for good.

I could only stare at the little black book in my hand, wishing that Kakashi had just said wasn’t true. But of course, it was and there was nothing I could do about it.

“So, what’re you going to do now?” I turned to her, but her sympathy made me turn away.

“I don’t know” I opened the book to the first page. To my brother: I’m sorry I couldn’t didn’t remember you. And to Kakashi: I’m sorry I was a coward, and I’m sorry for doubting you.

I immediately closed the book as my eyes went from clear to dangerously blurry. I looked up and blinked really hard, hoping to clear my eyes, but instead something warm slid down my face.

“Akio-kun…” I felt her hand on my arm, but decided not to acknowledge it. “Would you like to see her?”

I glanced at her, thinking I might’ve misheard her. “She’s not here anymore, how am I supposed to see her?!” I moved her hand off my arm and awaited her answer.

“I meant her grave…” she said looking down. Instead of responding, I sigh and look back down at the book.

“I’d rather not see her grave right now.” It’ll only prove that she’s really gone. My thoughts were scattered, but for the most part, it was like I was drowning in guilt and I didn’t know how to swim. “She wouldn’t want to see me anyway”

“That’s not true!” I turned to her, she suddenly seemed energetic. “I don’t much about your relationship, but after she found out about you, all she ever talked about was how much she would like to see you. Even when she couldn’t speak, she managed to write it down. She really did want to see you.”

I didn’t know what to say, but I still knew that even though she might’ve wanted to see me, I didn’t think I could see her just yet.

I told Sakura that, and soon I was on my way out of the village once again.

As I reached the gates, I stopped as I noticed something oddly strange about the day so far. It felt so short; I clearly remember entering the village earlier today and yet here I am, already leaving.

I barely notice the sun setting as I open the small black book in my hand.

The page was titled ‘Runaway’ and apparently it was the start of chapter one. What a fitting page, I thought. I wondered how fitting the title would be.

Spotting a bench not too far away, I walked over to it and sat down. I turn back to the book, feeling nervous for some reason. Ever since I left to look for her, I wanted to know more about her. How she grew up, what she liked and didn’t like, but now that I have the chance, I guess I just don’t know if I want to know anymore. I just wish she would’ve been able to tell me. It’s too late now.

After taking a deep breath, I start on the first sentence which started with her sighing. So I sat there reading my little sister’s story feeling the guilt grip my heart again.

It was when I reached the second chapter that I realized I had been followed. Or maybe he had simply found me. Either way, Kakashi was next to me looking as mysterious as ever.

“Did you get far?” he asked looking somewhat sad, even though I have no idea how I knew that.

“Not really, just the second chapter.” I looked back down at the small book. “When did she write this?” I suddenly had the urge to know. I hadn’t given it much thought while I was reading, but for some reason, I really wanted to know. There was no way she could’ve written this while it was happening…

Right… of course. “Right before she passed.” I simply nodded slowly, trying not to think of how painful it might’ve been.

Slowly, I close the book with the ribbon marking the page. “Did she…” taking a deep breath, I try again. “Did she have… any last words?”

He stays silent for an entire minute before speaking. “She said, ‘I can’t stand, Kakashi’” he looks down at me. Meanwhile I am utterly confused. What did standing have to do with anything?

“I don’t… I don’t understand.” He sighs and takes a seat next to me on the bench.

“She told me that her friend once told her that she should try to stand before giving up.” He looks at me and suddenly, it all fits. She couldn’t stand. She had no choice but to give up. And it’s all my fault; if I hadn’t run away like a coward, if I had tried standing, maybe she’d be here…

With another sigh, he stands up. “I have an extra room if you want to you can stay there.” He looks down at me, awaiting my answer.

I look back down at the book. It wouldn’t hurt to room with Kakashi, and I would have time to read the book. “Sure, why not?” I stand up from the bench and follow him to his fairly large house.

Suddenly random thoughts flood my mind. In the chapter she mentioned not being able to scream and her voice not working. That couldn’t have been right, because when I left she had definitely screamed for me, so why is it that she suddenly became mute?

What exactly happened after I left?!