14 - Aftermath

Well, this is it! I apologize for the uber long wait, but Silence is Finally over!!! Yay!! I know you're all probably screaming at me for taking so long to finish such an unneeded sequel. I thank you all for sticking with me through all this :))

~Enjoy the last chapter. It's still pretty short though..

Chapter 14: Aftermath

***

Rubble greets me from my position through the shattered office window. A broken town screams to be repaired. A silent defeated leader lies behind me, and I almost regret doing so much damage, if I hadn’t learned they were responsible for the death of my sister.

In the silence, a thought roams about in my mind. What now? What do I do now? Breaking their town didn’t get my sister back.

Suddenly empty, I search the room, not sure what I’m looking for.

The town is in complete silence except for the slight whistling wind.

Ahhhhhh!!!!

Amidst the silence, a shrill scream pierces my ears. I crumble. Why does it sound so much like Ririn?!

All over again, I yearn to see my sister, even once. Maybe then, I might not imagine that scream from so long ago. My mind replays it over and over. My brain knows it couldn’t possibly be real. My heart can’t help but wonder if it was.

I cross out those thoughts. My sister isn’t here. There’s no way...

If that’s really the case, then why do I find myself running full speed toward Konoha?

***

Kakashi

What is this?

The hospital wanted to talk to me about Ririn’s autopsy, but instead, my ears are being assaulted by an unearthly wail. If I had been any closer, my ear drums might’ve been permanently damaged, even as a ninja.

I push past the nurses and doctors to the very room I was supposed to meet them to talk about Ririn.

The screaming finally ends. Though it probably lasted less than a minute, it felt hours long.

What could’ve made such a sound?!

The room is dark and broken. I am on my guard. In the corner I notice a familiar splotch of white, or more like silver.

I can’t help but think of Ririn. But she wouldn’t be here. She couldn’t have been the one screaming. She can’t speak.

I near the silver. As I thought, it is hair. Long, silver hair. Ririn’s long silver hair.

“Ririn?” I am not expecting an answer, but I ask anyway.

She looks up, slowly. “K-Kakashi?”

The beginnings of a grin tugs at her face. I kneel to her eye level. “Is that really you, Ririn?”

Her grin is full and wide. She nods. “It’s me, Kakashi”

***

Akio

The trip seems to take longer when I’m in a hurry. My hopes are through the roof and as much as I want them to sink even just a little, it’s devastating to think they just might crash any minute now.

I reach Konoha with little patience left. The screaming has long ended, so I don’t know where to go. Where would I find her? Where is my Sister?

I head for Kakashi’s house. Maybe he would know.

I have to say, that was probably my best decision yet.

Before I can even make it to his house, silver catches my attention. The same silver covering my head.

But, I know of only one other person with that same silver.

Ririn.

Next to her is the familiar masked man. Kakashi.

I am dashing toward them as if my life depended on it. Kakashi looks up first.

He looks down at Ririn, “I have someone I want you to meet.”

She looks curious, it’s kind of cute. “Who?” She looks up and a set of golden eyes meet mine.

“Your brother, Akio.” Kakashi says. Time seems to stop as her eyes widen.

“My brother?!” She lets go of Kakashi’s hand that I didn’t even know she was holding. “You’re my brother?!” She’s addressing me this time.

I nod. “I missed you so much, Ririn.”

Her grin is so wide, I’m almost positive I’m dreaming. Her embrace says otherwise. “I’ve missed you too, Onii-chan*!”

-*-*-*-*-

*Onii-chan = Older brother