07 - Whirlwind

Oh nooo!! I'm three minutes late. I told myself I would update this weekend. Oh well, maybe next time :)

Also, I'm suuper tired so there might be some minor typos, if so I'll make sure to fix them later.

Anyways enjoy! :D

Chapter 7

***

After reading the letter, I could only think of one thing. I would have to find out exactly what happened after I left the village. To say the least, I’m craving the truth and I will pursue it for as long as it takes. I will make sure to answer all of her questions even if she isn’t here to hear the answers.

So, with that thought in mind, I continue reading her book and manage to finish is before the sun sets.

By the end of the book, I am beyond confused. She ran away from Konoha with some guy named Sasuke, thinking Kakashi and the rest of the village didn’t want her. She then ended up with some weird thing she called a “curse mark” which ended up practically torturing her.

For a brief moment, all is well when she gets her voice back, but then according to her, it ends much too soon and she is forced to leave once again.

She heads to the location of her nightmares and into the past where it all supposedly began. She is reunited with the boy from chapter one and she steals his voice.

When I reach the part where she learns about me, I am frozen, reading word for word, letter for letter, hoping to catch some sort of reaction, but all I get is that she never knew about me.

I already knew that, but I still wonder why. Why I seem to have never existed in her memory until chapter seventeen and why they only told her less than half the story of what really happened to our parents.

After chapter seventeen, I read on, hearing about the reunion with Kakashi after so many long months. I read about how she fainted and how she ended up in the hospital linked to machines.

I read about how and why she decided to write her story in this small black book and lastly, I read of how she died, slowly, quietly, and with the world fading to darkness.

***

Several days later, I decide to go back to my ‘home’ village and demand the truth. And I also decide that I’m not seeing Ririn until I’ve answered all her questions.

The first question I decide to tackle is why she lost her voice.

With that in mind, I head to the village with high hopes and with my guard up.

I pack the little things I brought with me to Konoha and several food items and weapons. I was a bit surprised they let me take them; I could’ve sworn I wasn’t trusted.

Either way, I took the weapons and left the village with many lingering thoughts, most of them clinging to my sister.

My thoughts didn’t ease up as I neared the village. I immediately saw the guards tense at my arrival. Then again the last time I was here, I wasn’t exactly nice.

I smirk at the guards with their spear up and pointed at me. “I bear no hostility.” I mutter with a sigh. “You can those things down before you hurt yourself” I grin slightly and walk past them into the barely busy streets.

I head straight to the village leader’s office building thing. He frowns as I barge in without knocking. He seems to be in some sort of meeting but I couldn’t care less even if I wanted to.

He sighs and the people leave at his command. “What do you want?”

“I want answers.” A simple answer to a simple question, sort of.

“To what questions?” he asks, sitting at the desk he inherited from his lazy father.

I launch straight into the questions. Why bother beating around the bush when all it doesn’t is waste time? “What happened to Ririn after I left?”

He simply raises an eyebrow. “Ririn? I don’t believe I know a Ririn.”

“Ririn, my sister, she visited you once, got a necklace or something…” his face showed slight recognition.

“Ah, Ririn, the untouchable…” He stares straight at me. “How’s she doing?”

Though he asked, I have a lingering feeling he already knows.

“She passed.” I say trying, and probably failing, to sound passive.

He nods and feigns sadness. “I’m truly sorry for your loss.”

“We both know you aren’t, now answer the question.” I glare at him willing him to anger me further.

“Whoa now, stop with the red eyes before I call the guards.” He glances at me, looking like he’s trying to figure me out. How do I know? I have the same expression when I read Ririn’s book.

He pauses before speaking again. “Look, I have no idea what happened to your precious sister after you abandoned her, but I do know someone that does.”

He pulls out a writing utensil and a small piece of paper and writes something down on it before handing it to me. “His name is Rinshan, and he was one of the people assigned to your sister after you left.”

I take the paper and stare at the address written on it. Rinshan

Wonder what type of lunatic this guy is.

***

It took me several hours before I finally found the guy’s old house. It was near the outskirts of the village where it was evident that people rarely ever went.

Just like his house, Rinshan was an old man with bad hearing. Also, just like the village leader, he didn’t seem to know who Ririn was until I mentioned that he was in charge of her a little over eight years ago.

Hearing this, he mentions that it was the worst day of his life, and he’s lived quite long.

He starts when they arrived at the location where they were to remove her voice permanently. He said he didn’t want to do it, but he had no choice; he was on orders. “She was unconscious when we brought her in. We thought she’d stay that way, only she didn’t. We hadn’t even started the procedure when she awoke, looking confused and innocent. I was watching from behind a protective screen as they tried to knock her out again. She wouldn’t budge and when she found out we were her enemies, the screams began.

“Quiet at first, they only seemed to affect those closest to her. Then they grew louder and louder with each passing second. When her voice reached my protected room, they began to drop. One by one, each guard seemed to be taken over by some type of agony. They clutched their ears and it was like I could feel their pain, or her pain.

“The protective glass broke and all at once, a whirlwind of sound coming from the young girl’s lips seemed to destroy the room without actually touching it. That was how I lost my hearing. I don’t even know how I made it out alive.”