08 - Reaction

Chapter 8

***

I was speechless, watching him as he told the story. As he recalled the memory, it was like he was looking in a far off distance. I’d hate to disturb him, but a question keeps repeating in the back of my mind.

“So, how did she lose her memories?” I ask, making sure to be loud so he would be able to hear me.

“Huh, she lost her memories?” he seemed utterly confused. “If she did, I don’t know about it. She fainted a minute before I did, never saw her since.”

And that was the end. With that I sigh and head to take my leave.

“…She might know” he murmured to himself.

I turn to him immediately, “who?!” he turns to me, startled at my sudden outburst.

“Her caretaker after the incident.” He frowns suddenly, “I’m not sure if she’s still alive…”

I pause to contemplate what he said. “Why wouldn’t she be alive?”

He sighs, “No one has heard anything from her since she was in charge of Ririn.” He pauses. “There were once rumors that Ririn killed her…”

I protest immediately, “She wouldn’t do that!!” Would she? I mean, she did kill the people trying to take away her voice, if Rinshan is being honest, so who’s to say she couldn’t do it again?

Feeling ashamed that I had actually thought she would kill someone, I furiously vanquish those thoughts and leave the small house with Rinshan calling after me. I don’t deserve to be her brother; a real brother would never think she could kill someone!

“If you want to find her, she right down that stone path. It should be the last house…” he turns to me before continuing. “Her name is Maude…” He smiles and heads back inside the house. Maude…

***

It turns out, Maude didn’t live there anymore, which was strange considering she left all of her things. There were still clothes in a small wardrobe and furniture in a small center area in the house. But, she must have left a while ago because the half-eaten food was beyond rotten.

It wasn’t until I reached a small room behind the house that I figured out why all of her belongings were still in the house, untouched.

There she lay; dead and long past bleeding from an open sword wound in her neck. Her eyes were wide open and blank with death. A stench filled the room and I knew she had been dead for at least a week. Her body hadn’t decomposed, so it wasn’t up to a year, at least I don’t think so.

Feeling rather unnerved, I close the door to the room slowly and carefully. I turn around and lean on the door. Now what do I do?

I leave the house confused, why would someone want to kill her? It doesn’t have anything to do with Ririn… does it?

I think about Maude’s death all the way to the center of the village when a guy who looks about my age halts my thought process. “You look familiar…” he says, looking thoughtful.

I simply raise an eyebrow before walking around him. “Ah, you look just like Ririn!”

I pause at the mention of her, and turn to meet the dark haired male. “You knew my sister?”

He seemed shocked at my reply. “You’re her brother? No wonder you look so alike...” he grins for whatever reason and held out a hand for me to shake. “I’m Ryuu, her friend.”

I ignore the hand and refuse to meet his eye. Great, now how do I tell him she died? “The name’s Akio, and…” I trail off, surprised at how hard it is to simply say she passed away.

He lowers his hand with a frown. “And?”

I sigh and blink away any signs of sadness. “Ririn passed away.”

I didn’t get to see his face as I told him, but I guess since he didn’t reply, he must’ve been quite shocked. I looked up to find his jaw hanging open and his eyes wide. “Did you say she…passed?!”

I sigh, “What else would I have said?” I huff and turn to leave the village. Staying here just might break my resolve for not thinking about her untimely death.

“Did you get to meet her at least?” he murmured, I could tell he was looking at me. I didn’t look back.

“No” I stare off into the gates of the small village, “No, I didn’t…”

***

After the ‘talk’ with Ryuu, I head back to Konoha only to find some guy leaning on a tree looking like the world revolved around him. He had dark hair in a weird shape and strange unfamiliar red eyes.

As I approached, he turned and stared right at me. It seemed like he was trying to pull me into something, but obviously it didn’t work because he sighed and stepped away from the tree.

“You look familiar, do I know you?” he asks, looking rather curious.

I simply shrug, “I don’t know you.” I continue walking on the way to Konoha.

Apparently he wasn’t done talking because he continued, “Ririn?” he murmured.

I pause by a fairly large tree. It’s surprising how many people know her… “You know her?” I ask, turning back to him.

“You do too?” he seemed a bit shocked at that, though it didn’t show much.

I nod, “yes, she’s my sister”

His eyes visibly widen and I could practically see a reply coming, except he swallows it and instead asks, “How’s she doing?”

I sigh realizing I have to break the news to another person. I silently wondered how he would react. “She passed away not too long ago.” I state, watching for even a small sign of sadness. It doesn’t come.

All I hear is a slight sigh and a small, “I told her not to leave.”

I don’t know what reaction I was expecting, but it definitely wasn’t that.