13 - Echo

Chapter 13: Echo

***

The storm rages outside; destroying freshly reconstructed buildings and echoing throughout the office. Meanwhile inside the building, countless guards and soldiers lie unconscious.

The village head cowers in a corner of his office muttering profanities as the tempest continues to echo throughout the room. I turn to him just as the wind rings loudly enough to shatter the abnormally large window in his office.

“Please don’t kill me.” He whimpers, refusing to make eye contact.

“Why shouldn’t I? You murdered my sister!”

He looks right at me. “Because I’m the only one who can wake her up” I almost laugh at his desperate attempt to save his own life.

I instead settle for a smirk. “Really? So you’re trying to tell me she isn’t dead? That she’s just sleeping?!”

I could practically see him face palm. What an idiot. Another window shatters as my anger rises. He would really try to get my hopes up in such a situation?!

***

???

I feel delicious air rushing into me. Was I asleep? Why wasn’t I breathing? What’s going on?

I force my eyes open. Unfortunately, I can’t seem to see anything. I must be a dark room or something. I try to sit up but instead my forehead hits the low ceiling I didn’t realize was there. My heart races in fear. Where am I?

I try to move my arms, but two walls on either side of me stop all major movements. I feel like screaming, but instead I can only whisper. “Where am I?” Why do I feel like my voice is new? Why do I have so many questions?

I gasp for air; does this place not have holes, or even windows? Stricken with fear, I kick at the walls. Finally, I hear a loud clang and the small room is flooded with a dim light. I let out a small squeal as I slide out of the compartment into a larger, brighter room.

Along with the somewhat dim light comes a not so gentle stream of memories as I remember who I am and where I’m supposed to be. It’s definitely not here. I notice a small window halfway covered by an equally small gray curtain. I scan the room some more before I’m hit in the head by shockingly heavy brick; figuratively, of course.

The headache hits and I can’t help but wonder why. Luckily for me, along with the headache comes a wave of somewhat unwanted memories. Let’s just say it’s like a raging tempest in my brain. Waves of memories try to sort themselves in my mind.

A scream echoes throughout the room, but I’m not sure if it was in my head or in reality. I barely notice when I sank to the ground clutching my head, waiting for it to end. I lost all track of time as my head screamed endlessly. I think at some point it escaped from my lips, but how would I know when my head is pounding out of reality?

A window in the distance shatters and my headache ends abruptly.

Feeling winded and dizzy, I look up, hoping to find something, anything to tell me what just happened. Instead, I see a broken room and a masked man.

****

Sorry it's so short! I wanted to make it longer but school's starting tomorrow, and I don't think I'll have the time. Sorry again ;(