12 - Tempest

Chapter 12

***

I ended up watching the sun rise slowly over the horizon, thinking about the events of the day before. Throughout the night I had a slight idea of who Ririn’s murderer could be. However, only one thing is standing in my way; evidence.

That shouldn’t be too hard to get considering the fact that only certain people know of my father’s secret business.

A chill races down my spine. Of course, how could I been so stupid?!

I immediately jump out of bed. Turning to a tall mirror in the room, I smirk slightly. I guess it’s time for another visit. I’m going home.

Feeling a sharp twinge of excitement, my smirk widens. I quickly pack the necessary items; weapons and such, into my small travel bag. I don’t think I’ll need much to start a war.

It takes about an hour to pack and prepare everything; much shorter than I had predicted. That’s definitely not a bad thing.

Finally, I pick up the small black book. Don’t worry Ririn, I will avenge you.

“You’re leaving?” I hadn’t noticed him by the door until he spoke. I simply nod.

“I have some things to take care of.” He nods in what I assume to be understanding. I hand him the book. “Thank you, for letting me stay here.”

He doesn’t accept it. “Keep it; she would want you to have it”

My lips ease into a calm smile. With one last nod, I leave the room. I guess it’s time to cause a tempest.

***

It doesn’t take as long as I would’ve thought to reach my old village. As I reach the gates, the guards flinch. “Why are you here?” Apparently, they recognize me. Good, it makes things much easier.

“I don’t want to cause trouble; I’m just here to see the village head.” I smirk as they debate my request between themselves.

“Fine, if that is all, you may enter.” I smirk at their stupidity. Do they seriously think I’m only here to see their leader? “I’ll be your guide for your entire stay” says the guard on my left. I simply nod, feeling rather amused. So they are total airheads. That’s nice to know.

The guard walks me to the village head’s office building while I scan the surroundings. Turns out they fixed a lot of the things I broke when I was last here. They might be so easy to break again. I guess I’ll just have to find out.

I stop the guard at the door of the office. “Before I see him, I need to make a quick stop.” I turn to the direction of my old home before he has the chance to answer.  

When I finally reach the house, I’m hit by old emotions I thought I had destroyed. Turns out I hadn’t. Sighing, I enter the house. The guard stays by the door. I immediately find my way to my father underground lab.

I scan the shelves of his many prototypes; some deadly, some not so much. Finally I reach the gap I knew I would find. Eimin is missing. No, it’s right there; next to the gap. So what was in the gap?

It dawns on me just as the guard yells for me to hurry up. The prototype.

I’m out of the house before the guard could even comprehend what happened. I race through crowds and cattle yet I can’t seem to get there fast enough. When I finally locate the large building, I speed up, paying no attention the guard lagging behind.

I pause right outside the door as a new thought comes to me. If Ririn took the prototype, then isn’t that a good thing?

I remember father explaining it to me:

“See, I fed the rat the prototype as a test. I’ve checked it every day for the past several months and there was nothing abnormal. It wasn’t breathing. It wasn’t moving.” He motions to the large rat running around in its cage. You would’ve never thought that thing was dead just this morning.

I couldn’t help but wonder; if he wanted to kill something, why not just poison it?

When I ask him that; he laughs in response. “I not just trying to kill this rat, I want to put it to sleep. When you sleep, there’s nothing wrong with your internal organs, right. But poison kills the organs as well as everything surrounding which causes the body to decay at a faster rate. With Eimin, the body is sure to never decay, because it would be like the victim is asleep.”

**

I am pulled out of my thoughts by the guard pointing his weapon at me. “Stop right there, you are not to take another step!” He’s gasping for breath.  I could easily take him, but that would gain attention.

Finally, I sigh and turn back to the door. “Good, you're here. I was starting to worry I ran too fast for you. Weren’t you the one who told me to hurry up?”

The guard lowers his weapon. I hide my smirk and knock loudly on the door. Before an answer is heard, I enter the room. It’s exactly as I remember.

The young village head is turns in his chair as the door opens. He immediately sits up, looking shocked to see me. “What are you doing here?!”

I chuckle though there’s nothing funny. “You didn’t think I’d come back. Especially after learning that you killed my sister?”

His eyes widen in realization. Then he smirks. “You’re just realizing it now? That stupid freak deserved to die! She ruined our village and killed my father!” He glares right at me. “Now it’s your turn. I was bit put off by having to find you like I did her, but now that you came to me, it’s much more convenient.”

I feel anger rising in my chest. This little idiot is really trying to commit suicide. Fine, if he wants to die, then I have no problem slitting his throat.

I feel a storm brewing outside, and I almost tell myself to calm down, but then his office is flooded with soldiers and my anger multiplies.

He dares to try and kill me like he did my sister?! I’ll show him a real tempest.