46. Shadows Of The Past

Start from the beginning

"That doesn't look very planned," I pinpoint when she brings the keys out of her pocket and unlocks the car.

"It wasn't." She got into the drivers seat, while I got into the passenger's.

When the car pulled out from the airport, I cleared my throat. "I believe I have the right to know what caused this sudden, unplanned change?"

Her eyes stay focused on the road in an unfathomable expression. Her glance was sharp but her eyes were sad, but she somehow managed to pull a very faint smile on her face to not look rude.

"You do. Ivory Stars is co-owned by two brothers. A tragedy befell one of them, and the other didn't want to leave his brother. After all, a family has to stick together in tough times, right?"

I turn my eyes towards the window, and painfully gulp. "Right."

"So," she clears her throat, "Do you have family?"

"I'm an orphan," I reply, "Brought up by my Uncle, who passed away with cancer four years ago. So no family whatsoever."

A small smile lingered through her lips. "But family isn't just determined by blood, silly. You must have someone else, right? People who are not your blood yet more important than family? Some friends, perhaps?"

My heart almost skips a beat but I feel vexed. I take a shaky breath, pushing the feelings of annoyance away.

"No, actually. I don't," I take a deep breath. "I've never been too lucky when it comes to relations."

"Oh, I'm sorry," she says in return, but her voice had no remorse. She spoke to me almost as if she knew who I was, as if she could look into my soul without trying to and that piqued me.

"Who are you, anyway?" I growl, sparing her a side glance.

A proud smile creeps on her lips. "I'm the head designer of Ivory Stars."

"Ofcourse you are," I mutter under my breath, as the conversation dies out.

I keep my eyes on the road for the rest part of the journey, and the silence between us was almost awkward and uncomfortable. Sensing that, Jeff puts on the radio.

'–if I could convince myself to feel it,
You know I would feel it, I would;
perfect, perfect timing,
I start but I don't know how to end,
Don't re, don't remind me,
I ruined it before it began, whoa–'

"Um, so," I clear my throat, feeling apologetic for being mean to her before. "How far are we going?"

"We've already entered the main city, and my boss, the CEO of Ivory Stars, was looking forward to meet you in person, however, he leaves it upon you– would you like to rest for the night and meet him tomorrow or should I take you to him now?" She asks in return.

I think for a moment. "Tomorrow," I say, "Tomorrow sounds good."

I couldn't help but think that the way she shook her head to herself, she was disappointed by my answer. "Then I should take you to your designated hotel."

I said nothing in return. It was a silent ride of twenty minutes before Jeff parked outside a five star hotel, and when I got out and thanked her for the ride, she explained me my check-in details.