twenty two

i'm back everyone ❤ anyway, if you're having a hard time, i hope you stay strong until the end :) stay safe and don't forget to wear your masks when you go outside (^ω^)

it was almost twelve at midnight and shiho still found herself wide awake at this time. she was staring at the name card in her hand with mixed emotions as sunwoo's words kept replaying in her mind.

"going here doesn't mean you are not normal. you just need some guides to be true to yourself."

she pondered about this sentence for a long time. all these while, she had never thought herself as normal. after all, what kind of normal person would depend on drugs to feel better? no normal person would do that in their right minds.

yet again, a part of herself thought: what if she was wrong, and what sunwoo said is the truth? maybe she was still a normal person, who just needed a little bit of guidance because she was lost in life?  maybe what she actually needed to survive this life was not sleeping pills, but a help of professional?

shiho turned her head towards her study table, eyeing the drawer where she kept the bottle of pills and averted her gaze back to the card in her hand.

kim sunwoo, should i believe you this time?

the next day, when the homeroom teacher came into the class for the usual morning meeting, his expression was especially moody, as if he had woken up from the wrong side of his bed.

as the examination period was just around the corner, most of the students had their heads buried into their books. no one really paid attention to the homeroom teacher, making the latter's expression turned uglier. annoyed, he slammed the attendance file in his hand onto the desk, creating a loud banging sound that shocked the whole class.

"everyone, stop whatever you are doing and pay attention to what i'm going to say!"

noticing the grim look on the teacher han's face, the students obediently put away their books and looked at him attentively. the whole class was quiet as the teacher scanned the room and his eyes stopped particularly at a person who had his head on the table, seemingly unaware of his surrounding.

hyunjoon quickly noticed that their moody teacher han was glaring holes into sunwoo's head but the said boy was too deep into his morning nap to care. although he liked seeing sunwoo got reprimanded by the teacher, when seeing the deathly expression the teacher had at the moment, he was afraid that sunwoo might not survive the trouble this time.

therefore, taking their long friendship into account, hyunjoon decided to save sunwoo from trouble this time.

thanks to hyunjoon's painful slap to his side, sunwoo was startled awake. he was about to launch a long curse attack to the heo kid but stopped when he sensed the strange ambience. only then did he notice the sharp glare the teacher shot at him, so he obediently straightened his back to sit properly.

perhaps teacher han was so used to this kind of situation, he merely took a deep breathe to calm himself and proceeded with the meeting grimly.

"the school festival will be held after examination week and our class needs to send a team to perform that day. who wants to volunteer?"

the classroom fell into deep silence. you can only hear the ticking sound of the clock hung on the wall. after a whole minute of waiting and there was still no response, the homeroom teacher was aggravated again.

"kids–" teacher han seemed as if he was about to pull his hair out in frustration . "i know you guys are studying hard for the examination next week. right, it's important to maintain your grades since you are in the first class after all. but, you can't only focus on studying, alright?"

"you guys are students – you are not robots who need to study the whole time. loose yourself a little. this is the time to enjoy your high school days; create fun memories with each other. you guys understand what i'm trying to say?"

the students collectively answered, "understand."

the teacher sighed in relief. with a smile, he asked again, "good. now, who wants to volunteer for our class? only five students are allowed to join at most."

the glimmer of hope that was ignited in teacher han's pair of eyes slowly died down when he was, once again, answered by silence. his expression became deadpanned as he muttered, "this is the most serious problem with the first class students. you guys are too obsessed on getting good grades."

teacher han glanced at his wrist watch and noticed he had less than ten minutes before the morning meeting ended. so he spoke resolutely, "since no one volunteered and the participation is compulsory, i can only choose randomly–"

at this, the students started complaining but teacher han was not going to compromise with them.

he took the attendance file and scanned through the list of students, "hmmm... who got the first place in the last examination?"