four

im shiho always loved going to school. for someone who had a broken family background, she found school as some sort of gateway from reality; a place where she could momentarily forget how messed up her actual life is; a place where she could pretend that she had a perfect life despite everything.

but as the sun peaked out from the horizon and her alarm rang off at 6 in the morning on the next day, she finally felt the dreaded feeling all students probably feel when the morning of school days came. for the first time ever, she was reluctant to leave her bed and get ready for school.

recalling back of what happened yesterday made shiho felt like slamming her head to the walls in regret. if only she was able to control her temper like she always do, she wouldn't be in this state of misery.

today was definitely not her best day, in fact it probably was the worst. she didn't know what to expect for the day and she couldn't stop thinking of the worst that might happen later. her mind was all over the places that she didn't even notice her maid calling out to her frantically as she entered the car.

"shiho-yang, you forgot this." shiho stared at the blue-black blazer handed by her maid in daze, the nametag stuck on it reminding her of him.

kim sunwoo.

biting her lips, she reached for the blazer reluctantly and put it aside, as far from her as possible and she was off to school.

shiho smiled weakly at the students who greeted her on her way to the classroom. she was half-relieved that everyone still treated her the same, though her greatest worry was yet to be confront.

the walk to the classroom ended fairly quick and she was already standing there faster than she wanted. the door was closed but she could hear the chatter from the inside. she was just about to slide open the door when someone tapped her on the shoulder. turning around, she was met by her bestfriend and the class president, yoon sanha.

for sanha, a smile crept up her lips on its own.

"what are you doing, not going inside?" sanha asked as he opened the door, wide enough for the two of them to enter together. shiho followed after sanha, though her steps were halted when she accidentally looked at sunwoo and his friend, hyunjoon's direction.

the boy had a black hoodie in place of his missing school blazer and he was staring at her, his gaze sharp and hard. fortunately, hyunjoon was too distracted with his phone to care about them.

shiho sucked in a sharp breathe, averting her eyes away from his. she took slow steps towards her seat, her face turning paler for unknown reasons. her school bag suddenly felt heavier, the weight of sunwoo's blazer that she kept inside felt like tons on her shoulder.

how should she return it to him? even the mere sight of him was enough to send shivers down her spine and make her feel sick all of a sudden.

"hey shiho, are you okay?" sanha's question snapped her out of her train of thoughts. shiho nodded with a weak smile, assuring the latter.

thankfully, sanha was too oblivious to notice her white lie. he dragged his chair towards her seat, another hand placing a workbook on the table. "i need your help with this one question."

shiho was relieved that sanha managed to avert her attention to him, though she could still feel someone's eyes on her back as she helped sanha with his problem.

"KIM SUNWOO! WHO IS IT?!!!!"

shiho flinched in surprise when the back door of the class was slammed open, revealing a face that everyone in the class was pretty much familiar to it.

eric sohn had been visiting their class almost every free time he got and he was comfortable enough to stride inside the room as if he owned it.

shiho watched as eric rushed towards his group of bestfriends, making sunwoo and hyunjoon alarmed in their seat.

the moment eric reached sunwoo's table, he gripped onto the latter's shoulder, shaking it violently while shouting, "WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME THAT YOU GOT A GIRLFRIEND?!! I'M DISAPPOINTED, KIM SUNWOO!"

a series of gasps was heard across the room. hyunjoon looked beyond bewildered while sunwoo was trying to push eric away.

"let me go, you shithead!" sunwoo hissed through gritted teeth, his voice was dark as shadows fell over his features. eric immediately retreated his hands, cowering away to hyunjoon like a timid cat.

"what do you mean that sunwoo got a girlfriend?" hyunjoon questioned and eric was back to his usual frivolous and childish self.

"i heard the teachers in the staff room gossiping about sunwoo and his unknown girlfriend when i went to send in my overdue assignment just now." eric was loud enough for the whole class to listen, "apparently, a teacher caught them together at the carpark after school yesterday and from what i heard, they were in the middle of—"

sunwoo couldn't stop himself from giving eric a good slap on the head before the boy continue rambling more nonsense. "if you speak another word, i'm going to literally kick you out of the class."

eric whined and pouted, rubbing the sore spot on his head. he shot sunwoo a subtle glare before stomping out of class, muttering words of complaints.

sunwoo sighed, now fully aware of all curious eyes that were still on him. "what are you looking at?!" he snarled and it was enough to sent everyone back to their own matters.

he ruffled his hair in annoyance, feeling a mild headache building in his head.

"hey sunwoo—" sunwoo snapped his head to hyunjoon, his face was stoic yet his eyes were deathly, as if telling him to ask anyway if he wanted to be dead.

"—nevermind." hyunjoon scratched the back of his head awkwardly, turning away. he knew better than to dig his own grave.

shiho looked away, feeling her hands tremble from the news. her heart was drumming fast inside her ribcage, leaving her breathless.

this is not supposed to happen, she thought nervously. she was so closed to freaking out, if not for the teacher finally entering to start the class.